Considering BP/wings setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why does (as far as I've seen) DiveRITE offer Al, SS & "ABS". I've not seen ABS from anyone else. Why

What's the ABS weigh? My gut tells me that the SS is probably about 6# negative, the AL about 2# negative, and the ABS less negative than the AL. I am thinking they would offer the options to give you more configurations for weighting. Plus the ABS may be lighter on dry land when humping around 104s...

Any idea?

My Revamped opinion.
David, After diving an old BP (homemade) and Diverite wings for many years, then back to a Transpac for the last 6 months, and having VERY recently become aquainted with a Halcyon modified Hogarthian setup, using a Pioneer wing,
I must say that I am rather impressed with the latter. No specific reasons, it just generally has a better "feel" to it.
(Im talking purely out of the water).
I honestly think its worth a look for a first time buyer. It seems to have some merit.

Just my opinion of course.:)

Dave

I'm going to get myself in real trouble here, But do DIR guys only date women from High Springs. And do they have to meet and have George's blessings first?

Thanks...Now we're getting somewhere.

O-Ring here's the stats on the backplates

I haven't tried a BP/W set up, I'm open. But when I first started asking around (not here) everyone tried to hard sell me on Halcyon, knowing I liked DiveRITE & not justifing it.

thethumper once bubbled...
"ABS". I've not seen ABS from anyone else. Why

Are you asking why ABS, or why doesn't anyone else have an ABS plate.

Hmm... I'd be interested to see if FredT chimes in one this one. I would guess that the ABS plate would be as an alternate to the aluminum plate, as aluminum can corrode in sea water faster than steel, and I would assume faster than ABS.

O-Ring here's the stats on the backplates

Ok, it must not be for underwater weighting, but for above water weighting. That difference between the AL and ABS isn't enough to make a significant difference underwater.

I dive with a guy who has a diverite bp/wing and it works for him just fine. I happen to have 2 halcyon wings and they work for me just fine. I always said if I had it to do again, I would probably get the FredT backplate since it is cheaper than either one of the other two options....I just didn't have any DIR people locally that I knew that could help me rig it and preferred to get it rigged right out of the box at that time.

That being said, I cannot state a good reason to get a halcyon bp over a diverite or fred t...as long as the holes line up, I would get whatever fit my needs best regarding weighting (I know Fred makes a heavy that is 9# negative) and didn't damage my pocketbook the most. I really like my Halcyon wings though...the inflator is the right size for me, the rear dump is located in a spot I am used to using, and they seem very durable.

Spectre once bubbled...

Are you asking why ABS, or why doesn't anyone else have an ABS plate.

Hmm... I'd be interested to see if FredT chimes in one this one. I would guess that the ABS plate would be as an alternate to the aluminum plate, as aluminum can corrode in sea water faster than steel, and I would assume faster than ABS.

Corrosion rate of Aluminium in Salt water is rather low, IF you had a problem with your BP corroding, well you had a pretty good innings out if it, so it really wouldnt matter!

Now galvanic and electrolytic corrosion, thats another issue.

Mixing Lead and Aluminium has dramatic effects, I guess that would make ABS a better option.

Dave

OK... since we aren't going to get into an argument...

I have never tried Dive Rite wings so I cannot make a comparison.

I can tell you what I like about the Halcyon wings...

The Pioneer is long and narrow and wraps up on the sides of the tanks just enough but not too much and presents minimal drag.

I have had 45# and 27#.... both easy to completely dump the air and both trim horizontally without effort.

I have had both 55# and 70# Halcyon Explorer doubles wings and they too work great... the 70# wing is longer and narrower than the earlier models and it too wraps up on the sides of the tanks just the right amount.

As for the ABS plate... I have heard (only) that they were prone to break and could not stand up to doubles.... no personal experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom