Considering doubles, where do I start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pegger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive single LP 85's now and have the desire to explore some of those deeper wrecks up here in the great lakes. I'm not sure if I will go technical or rec. with doubles. Before I decide, I'll try my LDS set-up in the pool to see what doubles are like, but I would also like some direction from some experienced double divers on this form.
I also don't want to break the bank doing this switch from singles to doubles. I noticed this package from Scuba Toy's and wonder if I would be on the right track. Hollis HTS 1 Harness and Hollis Wing Package discounts on sale Hollis

Regards,

I agree that LP85s make great doubles -- I have two sets, and dive them in preference to anything else we have.

I don't like the Hollis setup you have linked to, but that's me. It's too complicated and too cumbersome. I prefer a simple web harness system, to which you can add what you want. Don't buy too much lift; you need enough, but too much just makes venting difficult.

IMO stay with steel. LP is likely a good choice for filling options. I picked up a set of LP72 for the straights of Mack which was a great starting point. If I stuck in the area longer I would have moved up quickly. A pair of 85s would be nice. My buddy was using LP steel 94 or 95s. I've also seen a lot of postings talking about the 104s. One factor would be your SAC compared to your buddies and what they are using. Another big factor is what you can physically carry in weight and size. You don't want to be banging you head on the tanks. Likewise, It can't droop too far down either....... If there is any way to beg borrow or steal a set for a practice dive or two would really help you out on what you are comfy with.

Bloody marvelous tank deal going down on here today

sorry, had to answer the door,

bought a couple of 80 Worthingtons in hydro $300
last week 6 mths old
bought an 85 Faber no test $100
last week immac
232 bar

very good

anyway back again, from the door, all the cardboard is in the recycling bin, four parcels today merry christmas
so I got a Scubapro Classic BC with an Air II all in exceptional condition stays inflated for an hour now, before
rebuild, Mark 10 vintage none of that hernia inducing, integrated weights, unnecessary cant take your gear off
without popping your shoulder out upside down, that is ready now to be used with DOUBLES for only fifty bucks

Ok ok so you have to buy a weight belt for 20 or 30 bucks and learn to dive

But also in another parcel was a book that I just bought on scubaboard called DIVING FREE about how to overcome
anxiety and other barriers in order to become at one with diving that has nothing to do with anyone but you. CHEAP

Very good

Last edited:
I love my Faber LP85 doubles enough to own two sets :). I also love my Halcyon Evolve 40 lb wing, Al backplate & simple webbing harness.

Last edited:
Definitely have a good look around the market at different wing and harness options. Most are inter-changeable between manufacturers. One of the biggest benefits of wing designs is that they are modular - make use of that feature when it comes to purchasing and configuration of your gear.

As TS&M said, the Hollis harness is quite cumbersome. Most new doubles/BP&W divers tend to gravitate towards a complicated/comfort/deluxe style harness because it is more familiar to them, from diving jacket BCDs. However, those sort of harnesses aren't optimal for most doubles/BP&W divers - so tend to get swapped out and Ebay'd after a while for a basic 'Hog' type harness.

Given that basic/hog harnesses are a lot cheaper, there is some strong logic to start with that and then only upgrade if/when you need to.

When building the doubles themselves, choose an appropriate tank. That'll take some research on the cylinder properties, but there are some very knowledgeable people here who can help you with that. Don't skimp on a high-quality set of bands. The isolator is a critical component; pay particular regard to the number of revolutions needed to turn-on and shut-down the valves.

For what it's worth, I love my Halcyon Evolve wing. Oxycheq and DSS are great brands also. I'd say those were the 3 'premier' brands to investigate. I can't comment on Hollis, as I've never used one. My favorite backplate is a Custom Divers SS. It's very multi-functional and is bent with cam-slots to accept indie-doubles on cam-bands, without any adaptor - a great feature when travelling and doing ad-hoc doubles dives using regular rental cylinders.

I dive single LP 85's now and have the desire to explore some of those deeper wrecks up here in the great lakes.
Many divers start by doubling up tanks they already have, e.g.
RonFrank:
A lot of my friends stated with double alum 80's and went from there. If you have some singles this is a fairly cheap way to go.
I happened to have two HP 120s and doubled them up as my first set. From there, I added some used HP 100s, and a couple of sets of used AL80s, and finally put together a set of new HP130s. If I came across a good deal on some LP tanks, I would probably add a set of those as well. Basically, there are a variety of doubles sets you can use, and there will definitely be an element of personal preference which you will find for yourself as you try different sets. For example, I slightly prefer the bouyancy and trim of my AL80s, followed by my HP100s, plus I can dive either set wet if the occasion allows. The 130s are good tanks in the water (although a bear on the shore because of their weight). The 120s are a bit long / tall for me and I end up somewhat 'foot down' with them. If you have LP85s and like them as singles, start there and see how you like them as doubles.

The other possibility to consider if you want more gas for deeper wrecks, is setting up a sidemount rig. I won't say it will be less expensive than backmount, but it may be an attractive alternative configuration, at least for shore diving.
I'm not sure if I will go technical or rec. with doubles. Before I decide, I'll try my LDS set-up in the pool to see what doubles are like, but I would also like some direction from some experienced double divers on this form.
Setting up backmount doubles initially requires a bit of assistance from someone who knows how to assemble them, e.g. your LDS. Diving them is a matter of practice, a) getting used to the extra weight and change in trim, b) acquiring certain safety skills (valve shutdowns as one example) and attitudes, and c) recognizing that the extra gas can easily help you get into an unintended decompression obligation. From that perspective, there is some merit in pursuing technical training, even if you don't plan to do a lot of deco diving on those wrecks, so you are prepared to use your doubles safely and effectively. I dive doubles almost exclusively, and most of the dives are recreational (i.e. within NDLs). But, technical training provided the skill development opportunity that allows me to do so, plus I do have the option for longer, deco dives if I want. However, I started diving doubles before I pursued technical training, so the training is not necessarily a pre-requisite.
I also don't want to break the bank doing this switch from singles to doubles.
Others have commented on the Hollis package, specifically the harness. I would not pursue it, either - neither simple nor easily adjustable. One question is, what do you dive now with single tanks? Since you were looking at the Hollis package, I presume it is not a BP/W rig. As others have suggested, a simple (SS) BP with a plain vanilla web harness is a reasonable starting point, and not as expensive as the Hollis unit. (The Hollis wing seems like a good deal at the quoted Scuba Toys price, though.) I have a number of backplates, SS and AL, and only bought one of them new (for my wife). Only one has a 'commercial' harness (bought used, with a plate). The rest of the harnesses I set up myself. Since you are diving the Great Lakes, I presume you are either diving dry, or using thick neoprene, so a SS BP would probably be a best first choice. I would add that, diving dry, I find it helpful to have a quick release sewn into my harness on one side, to make it easier to get out of the rig after a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom