Considering doubles, where do I start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a look at what Deepseasupply.com has to offer in bp's and wings...Your height/size may dictate what equipment you want to use/buy.......Regular/small/tall/big etc....And SS-vs-Aluminium-vs-Kydex...Bouyancy/trim, weights and wet-vs-drysuits are all factored differently when diving doubles....Your regulator set-up will change too, hose routings/lenghts etc......When you decide what you want look at the classifieds on SB.....

I get the advise about keeping the harness simple, thanks for that, but as for the wing, Halcyon Oxycheq and DSS, seem to be very high end, ( at least the pricing is). Is it worth the extra $ for those brand names?
Now, I dive dry with a Sherwood back inflate bcd. It has a shoulder dump that I use 99% of the time, am I going to have to give that up in a wing? How many Lbs lift would I require for the LP 85's or is that a question for that particular manufacture?
Another question off topic, how do I reply to a post with a one line quote??

Regards,

Perhaps I missed it, but maybe start with why you want to make the switch to doubles? Are you doing dives that require more gas? Equipment is one part of the equation. Training is another. Ultimately I tend to think that people acquire the gear and the knowledge they need to make the dives they want to do.

I get the advise about keeping the harness simple, thanks for that, but as for the wing, Halcyon Oxycheq and DSS, seem to be very high end, ( at least the pricing is). Is it worth the extra $ for those brand names?

Halcyon is a little bit more expensive. Oxycheq and DSS are quite reasonable. There's not much between them IMHO. The prices are quite realistic if you want a well designed, well performing buoyancy system.

Bear in mind that, because the system is modular, your long term costs will be much cheaper. Once you have a good backplate, it will last forever and can be used with any wing you subsequently buy. If your webbing harness wears out, you can replace it for ~$20 (3-4m of 2" webbing, is not expensive). As for the wing, you can later swap in a single tank wing (<$300) to use with the same BP and Harness, giving you two wings (single/double). You can upgrade, swap, change your wing at any time - a new wing will cost less than buying a new mid-range jacket BCD.

Now, I dive dry with a Sherwood back inflate bcd. It has a shoulder dump that I use 99% of the time, am I going to have to give that up in a wing?

Yep, but you won't need it.

There will be some changes you need to make to your diving 'style' when you move onto doubles/wings. That's a good thing, because it entails an improvement in buoyancy, trim and control.

You'll be much more horizontal in the water, when wearing a wing. Most wing divers tend to use the rear hip dump for that reason. The extra shoulder dump becomes quite superfluous.

How many Lbs lift would I require for the LP 85's or is that a question for that particular manufacture?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/158370-ultimate-wing-lift-calculator.html

That Piranha one comes out to $55.99 when you add the crotch strap and the SS buckle.

I guess maybe I just like the included rubber thingies and look of the Halcyon harness. :D

To get an even cheaper harness, this dive rite one is $26 Not sure if it comes with the crotch strap (although it's shown in the picture). That would be $16 for the 2" version which is then $42 total.

To save money on the wing, consider a Hog wing ($209 for 38lb or 58lb) or buy used for ~ half the price.

Install a shoulder dump on your wing
like I do

That Piranha one comes out to $55.99 when you add the crotch strap and the SS buckle

Not to split hairs, but the buckle upgrade is for the can light holder; doesn't need to be SS. Crotch strap is extra on the DR so if you go apples for apples they're about the same price, but - Piranha has an option for a SS BP at $75 I think

Anyway, point being that there are cheaper options than the Halcyon harness IF price is the primary concern

My mistake, I misread that part.

I have two friends looking to get a BP/W also. Do you know if Piranha's crotch strap is the softer webbing?

Back
Top Bottom