Considering doubles, where do I start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps I missed it, but maybe start with why you want to make the switch to doubles? Are you doing dives that require more gas? Equipment is one part of the equation. Training is another. Ultimately I tend to think that people acquire the gear and the knowledge they need to make the dives they want to do.
I plan to take an intro. to tech. course next year.

Thanks for your insight??

From my own experience, I have started with a Dive Rite Al backplate, the basic harness plus a crotch strap and a single wing from HOG. The total was about 250$. Then I upgraded by buying a bigger wing for doubles. That's it :) Very flexible, easy to travel with, quite cheap and I really love it..... Now I can't imagine wearing a standard BCD.

Hi There Pegger how's it going? Drop by Dean's shop and check out the backplates, get some webbing and assorted d rings etc, plus a wing. Dean can help you out, also with bands and manifold.

When do you want to do this..eg try doubles? Maybe come to a pool session and try some out.

I second doubling up the 85s

Drop by Dean's shop and check out the backplates, get some webbing and assorted d rings etc, plus a wing. Dean can help you out, also with bands and manifold.

I called the shop three weeks ago and with her (I think his wife) advice, e-mailed him with the details and my intent about the doubles. Called again last Friday to remind him and I still have not heard anything. Makes me wonder.
I would like to get in the pool as soon as I can.

That's an unusual response in my experience *headscratch*

Pool session is the 19th I think.

I plan to take an intro. to tech. course next year.

That helps, some. Tech will require that you dive doubles. However, where to begin from the tank perspective comes down to gas planning. Understanding how much you need based on where you're going, how long you need to stay and how fast you consume it. I guess my question becomes, "why are you taking the intro to tech course, what dives do you plan to do and what would your maximum profile be on those dives" Then you can start to figure out whether AL80s (as have been recommended here) are the way to go or if you need something bigger. In my opinion, there's nothing more frustrating than buying a piece of gear just to realize that if you'd applied a little thought, you could have bought something else and not be looking to replace stuff so soon. (Clearly a do as I say, not as I do mantra given the locker full of tanks that ended up being not what I needed). Good luck with your choices though - you're getting some solid advice on the harness and backplate already, so I'll leave that alone.

TTech will require that you dive doubles.

In reality, yes... but... several agencies don't demand full doubles for either intro-to-tech or advanced nitrox (or equiv) courses. A single tank with 'h' or 'y' valve, running two separate regulators is sufficient. Most people do them in doubles though, as this aids with preparation/development for later tec courses.

However, where to begin from the tank perspective comes down to gas planning. Understanding how much you need based on where you're going, how long you need to stay and how fast you consume it. I guess my question becomes, "why are you taking the intro to tech course, what dives do you plan to do and what would your maximum profile be on those dives" Then you can start to figure out whether AL80s (as have been recommended here) are the way to go or if you need something bigger. In my opinion, there's nothing more frustrating than buying a piece of gear just to realize that if you'd applied a little thought, you could have bought something else and not be looking to replace stuff so soon. ). .

Great question and one that I have thought about quite a lot. That's why I'm posting on this form and why I'll be trying out doubles in a pool before I make any purchases.
One wreck that I've always wanted the dive is the Dunderberg, it lies at about a 140'. If the Lp85's aren't enough for that dive, I wouldn't buy a wing for those but would have to plan for a future tank purchase as well. Hopefully with the knowledge and experience of people like you on this board and the help of my LDS, I won't make a bad purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom