Considering first UW Camera Set-Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocean County Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm generally not one for taking UW pictures. I usually just mount a GoPro on my head and shoot video, however after my last trip to Bonaire I've been reconsidering.

I am looking to possibly get started with the following equipment. I know these are new, so there probably won't be much in the way of first hand experience but figured I'd ask for feedback anyway.

1. E-PL7 Camera
2. PT-EP12 Housing
3. Sea and Sea YS-01 or Olympus UFL-3 strobe.

I'm a total newbie in regards to UW photography (well, really photography in general) so opinions are appreciated.
[h=1][/h]

Hi;

The new E-PL7 looks to be a very nice camera, really an OM-D EM-1 with less direct controls and viewfinder. It also now sports a new power zoom 14-42 kit lens, which should be very nice for video. I played briefly with one last week and it focused quickly with the kit lens and the 60 macro.

The Oly housing is about like their others, good to 140', well-labeled and easy to work controls, direct video button, etc. Speaking of which, the Oly 60 macro lens won't fit the stock port on the PT-EP12, not sure if there will be an Olympus solution, I think Zen will probably have a third-party port out soon. Other wide Oly lenses will fit the new shorter port, but as it is a flat port you will loose 1/3 of the field of view. The Zen PEN dome port is preferred.

I would wait to get the Oly UFL-3 strobe as it will have better TTL connectivity with their RC mode - you can control it from the camera. You also can use very high sync speeds with it and TTL auto mode should be very accurate. The problem is that if you are shooting wide angle with the 9-18 lens, it is a bit under-powered with a guide number of 20. The Sea & Sea YS-D1 is much more powerful.

Our shipment of E-PL7s and housings is on the way to us and should be in stock the end of the week.

Olympus does have a lens special going with it - buy the E-PL7 camera and you can get $100-$200 on a range of lenses like the 9-18 w/a or 60 macro.

Hope that helps,
Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom