Corrective lenses in my mask project.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterwulf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have worn glasses for a long time but over the years, it's gotten bad enough to be a problem with certain things like diving. I looked into getting lenses for my mask custom made but decided not to go that route. Instead, I came up with this idea.

I had to get new glasses so I picked up a cheap pair for this project. I call them my Clark Kent glasses for obvious reasons.
po4k1RV.png

The first thing I did was remove the ear pieces.
tuAfroB.png

dUmhkWg.png

Then they did actually fit into the mask pretty well.
GLgVojG.png

I'm going to trim the old ear piece tabs off of them to give them some more room for fitting.
BiWiila.png

The mask fits pretty well with them inside and has plenty of room for important stuff, like my nose. I plan on using some silicone adhesive to fasten a tab to the glass to attach them in place. They should be able to flip up and down so I can coat them with anti fog before putting in on. I'll update here when I get them mounted completely. What do you think?

I’m always up for a good DIY project but that seems like a lot of work for mediocre results. There are several companies that sell readymade inserts. There are even plans for 3D printing your own. Or… wear contacts. Personally, I decided to go with custom lenses after trying a few different solutions. Good luck with your experiment.

I use contacts while diving salt water.

Dgx corrective mask in fresh water.

I use contacts while diving salt water.

Dgx corrective mask in fresh water.
Just curious why contacts fresh and lenses in fresh? Just going down the corrective lens in mask journey myself.

I’m always up for a good DIY project but that seems like a lot of work for mediocre results. There are several companies that sell readymade inserts. There are even plans for 3D printing your own. Or… wear contacts. Personally, I decided to go with custom lenses after trying a few different solutions. Good luck with your experiment.
What work? I'm retired and own a machine shop. Yeah yeah yeah I could go with Ready Made's but it's much more satisfying for me to build my own. I got the lenses on a super deal because I bought three sets and the frames were free. (I think they would have paid me to take them!) I can't wear contacts and I've never seen a 3D Printer than can print optic lenses. Mine sure can't! As for the "mediocre results": What results? They're not finished yet so how do you know how well it works? I expect them to work for me as planned but if not, I blew $8.96 (The price of the lenses) and maybe three hours of my time. Oh well.

My concern on your DIY solution is fogging. You now have three surfaces to fog rather than just one.

Print the frame not the lenses. You asked for our thoughts; don’t get your feelings hurt when we give them. As I said, good luck.

if the issue is with near vision, install a gauge lens on each side. They work great. If it is both, I would go with corrective lens masks. I was diagnose with cataracts and was able to get the removal and installation of artificial lenses covered by insurance and I had to cover the cost of the corrective expense of the artificial lens. Total cost was about $5k. Recovery has been a little slow due to dry eye issues but while diving they work perfect with the gauge readers. RLA advertisements about fixing near and far are a little miss-leading.

What work? I'm retired and own a machine shop. Yeah yeah yeah I could go with Ready Made's but it's much more satisfying for me to build my own. I got the lenses on a super deal because I bought three sets and the frames were free. (I think they would have paid me to take them!) I can't wear contacts and I've never seen a 3D Printer than can print optic lenses. Mine sure can't! As for the "mediocre results": What results? They're not finished yet so how do you know how well it works? I expect them to work for me as planned but if not, I blew $8.96 (The price of the lenses) and maybe three hours of my time. Oh well.
Interesting idea; sadly, not yet retired -- and I also cannot resist a good DIY project.

Should you ever become interested in full face masks, there are a number of decent plug and play accessories for those who wear glasses . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 1.28.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 1.28.22 PM.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 1.28.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 1.28.08 PM.png
    215.7 KB · Views: 11
Print the frame not the lenses. You asked for our thoughts; don’t get your feelings hurt when we give them. As I said, good luck.
I don't need to print the frame since it already has one. Yeah, I asked for opinions; Don't get defensive when I disagree with yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom