Question Could you sleep in an overwater bungalow with no A/C?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beccaaa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All
Posted in a different part of Scubaboard as well but -

Seeking opinions from those who don't sleep well in high humidity:

What were your experiences sleeping in 'over water bungalows' that are supposedly cooler with no A/C?

I'm looking at Papua Explorers, or Papua Paradise over water bungalows as accommodation but am concerned that a ceiling fan will not be enough to help me sleep. I just came back from Fiji and I know I would not have been able to sleep without the air conditioner at Uprising Beach Resort.

I'm used to the dry heat of Sydney, Australia - if anyone can relate and can let me know if you were able to rest or if they have tried it and would never do it again...

The answer is yes in some overwater bungalows but not all. Having stayed in overwater bungalows previously in Tahiti (outer islands), I would highly recommend them as they are much cooler, have easy water access and are relatively flying bug-free. Tt's much cooler out over the water than on land and there were few flying insects out over the water either compared to beach bungalows. That along with the ease of getting in and out of the water directly without having to walk through coral and up the beach to get out to a land based accomodation was great for people who actually go in the water a lot.

However, that's for overwaters which are a significant distance out over the water. The bungalows in the resort you mention look pretty close to land. They may be cool enough given enough breeze but the bugs look close.

I do not think AC can deter hungry female mossie needing blood to produce eggs.
…but the OP is talking about heat and humidity. Personally I need AC if heat & humidity are an issue. I’ve tried over the water bungalows with no AC at different resorts. Not my scene.

It’s odd. I lived for 30 years in a seaside town with no AC but also no humidity. No more.

…but the OP is talking about heat and humidity. Personally I need AC if heat & humidity are an issue. I’ve tried over the water bungalows with no AC at different resorts. Not my scene.

It’s odd. I lived for 30 years in a seaside town with no AC but also no humidity. No more.
Only AC can eliminate both factors + mossie(to a certain extend).
We all have different levels of tolerance to many things. To be honest, I would never ask such a personal question in a open forum.
If in doubt chose AC.

I thought I could take relatively spicy food in Thailand until I tried the real McCoy of Thai Papaya salad! One mouthful was barely manageable! LOL.

Same here, can't take no a/c, definitely not for me at all.

I find it only takes a couple of nights of abject misery to acclimate to no AC and high humidity. Besides, Asia has those crazy airplane propeller speed DC ceiling fans. I was more paranoid of the ceiling fans in Vietnam falling on me whilst sleeping than living without AC.

Sweltering is a state of mind.

I'm pretty sure the over-water bungalow I spent a few nights in on Mabul Island (near Sipadan) was air-conditioned, so that doesn't count. Another time, though, I wasn't over the water but near the water in a guesthouse in Labuanbajo, Flores Island, Indonesia, where the night I spent in a non-AC guesthouse room on a hill was the hottest, most uncomfortable night I have ever spent. I was absolutely soaked in sweat. It was that experience that led me to resolve never to be too cheap again to spring for AC.

Back
Top Bottom