Coz question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LA lady

Reaction score
I will be staying in Cancun later this month and I know the diving in Coz is much worth the trip over. Has anyone had to take the ferry over lugging your equipment? Does anyone know the times of the ferry? The family wanted to stay in Cancun but I really want to dive in Coz but now wondering if the trip over there will be feesable. Thanks a mill!

The ferries between Playa & Cozumel run at least once an hour beginning about 5 AM until 8 PM with a couple later until about 1AM.
Never heard of any weight restrictions - if you can tote it, you can bring it.
Rick

Hi, Rick (and LA Lady!),

There are no wt restrictions on the ferry. In fact, we know folks that fly to Cancun and take the ferry to Cozumel rather than sit in the Cancun A/P and fly to Coz.

That said, I suggest you check on a dive shop before you head to Coz--many will take reservations on the net. They can also suggest a ferry time for you. If you want some names of dive shops, check this section of the Board for recommendations. I even have a reasonsable set of such--although there may be some who do not associate my name and reasonable in the same sentence...

Joewr

La Lady:

I mispoke...for Coz dive shops check under Mexico and a heading, "Cozunmel, where to stay". If you will look under my name, Joewr, you will see a listing of dive shops and their ratings.

Joewr

The ferry runs on the hour each direction from 7AM til noon. About 1 or 2 they skip an hour each way, then every hour til 8PM. Then skip one. I believe the last one is 11PM.

The big problem is the ferry doesn't run from Cancun to Cozumel. It actually goes from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel. Playa is about 45 minutes to an hour south of Cancun by taxi.

We have stayed in Playa and taken the ferry across each day to dive. Not to bad.

We have stayed in Cozumel and taken the ferry to the mainland on non-diving days for sight seeing (Chichen Itza, Xcaret, etc). Not to bad.

The problem with Cancun to Cozumel is the long taxi ride. Then the taxis can't go all the way to the dock. They drop you off about 5 or 6 blocks away. You're going to have about 5 hours travel time for a round trip. Not to good.

If you have a 9 AM dive boat you need to catch the 7 AM ferry. (That's the fast comfortable boat) Get to Coz about 7:45. About 2 blocks south and across the street is a great place for breakfast. Big muffins, cheap and fast. Can't remember the name so that doesn't do you much good. Then taxi to the boat. You can't wait for the 8 AM ferry and get a quick taxi. That's the older slower boat and doesn't get to Coz 'til 9 or a few minutes after.

Hope that helps with your planning. The diving really is great over there.

Tom

Hi LA Lady,

My, my, but this thread seems to have gotten unnecessarily complicated.

If you contact either Scuba Cancun http://www.scubacancun.com.mx/scubadiving.htm or AquaWorld Cancun http://www.aquaworld.com.mx/portada.htm or Sol Divers Cancun http://www.marinesports.com/cancun/cancun.htm, they will make all the arrangements from your hotel entrance to their boat in Coz & back, including a nice lunch. I personally prefer Scuba Cancun due to its smaller & more personal nature.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

I've also looked into those ops briefly and will do so further, Doc. One problem I've had is getting in touch with Sol Divers, every time I try to e-mail them I get this rock band???? Anyone know what's up with that???

Hi LA Lady,

The blue URLs in my post above are hot links. By clicking on them, you will be taken to the website of each of the ops I cited. I just tried the one for Sol Divers & it worked fine.

Let me know if you continue to experience problems.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Doc,
I've used the hotlink and I've been to their website fine. I tried to e-mail them and got a response from a rock band telling me I've made a mistake. I then rechecked the e-mail address and can't find an error. I guess I can try it again and see who I get!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom