Cozumel: An Oasis in the Winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
Good report, Andy. Tell me about Devils Throat? Did you enter at 85 ft and exit at 120 ft? What was the vis and water temp? Did you say 6 knot current? It was that fast in Coz? I thought it never got over 4 knots? 6 is ripping. wow.
Where did you stay?

Devil's throat was great as always. I think the temp was about 80 degrees and the vis was 100+. The passageways are a bit wider since the hurricane and unfortunately the cross is gone. We entered at the top, exited around 135' and then went back in again. We had a good group who were all good on air.

The current I spoke of was at Barracuda. It "can" get up to 6knots, but was relatively mild when we were there. This is a reef that isn't done very often due to fast and unpredictable currents. However, it can be a really nice one "if" you have experience with strong currents.

ggunn:
It is on the other side of the street from La Choza about a block closer to the water, upstairs from Roberto's Black Coral shop.

Thanks Gordon, that jogged the ole memory.

renpirate:
Devil's throat was great as always. I think the temp was about 80 degrees and the vis was 100+. The passageways are a bit wider since the hurricane and unfortunately the cross is gone. We entered at the top, exited around 135' and then went back in again. We had a good group who were all good on air.

The current I spoke of was at Barracuda. It "can" get up to 6knots, but was relatively mild when we were there. This is a reef that isn't done very often due to fast and unpredictable currents. However, it can be a really nice one "if" you have experience with strong currents.

This must be some secret passageway that everyone talks about :wink: In my 30 to 40 dives there, I've never come out of the throat at 135...always less than 120

You are absolutley correct, currents at Barracuda can be crazy fast and very unpredictable...which is why only certain people get to dive there :)

Great report Andy...it was great meeting you and Jeanie as well and look forward to next time!

Christi:
This must be some secret passageway that everyone talks about :wink: In my 30 to 40 dives there, I've never come out of the throat at 135...always less than 120

You are absolutley correct, currents at Barracuda can be crazy fast and very unpredictable...which is why only certain people get to dive there :)

Great report Andy...it was great meeting you and Jeanie as well and look forward to next time!

Hi Christi,

It was great having dinner with you and your group. Next year you have to be in the picture. You are too pretty to hang out behind the camera.

As for the depth, I think it hits 130' if you exit along the bottom. However, I could be looking at my depth gauge after I have come out and sunk a bit. So I would defer to you on that one.

renpirate:
Hi Christi,

It was great having dinner with you and your group. Next year you have to be in the picture. You are too pretty to hang out behind the camera.

As for the depth, I think it hits 130' if you exit along the bottom. However, I could be looking at my depth gauge after I have come out and sunk a bit. So I would defer to you on that one.

Aww, you're sweet :) I really was serious about the 120...but I was teasing you because MANY people say they came out at 130, 140 or 150 even...I always wondered if these people were diving the same place I was :) You probably did dip down a bit and that's where your reading came from.

Next year, I promise I'll be in the picture :)

The 4 times I have done DT, we always come out at 120', but if you sink down to look over the edge to the abyss, you can get to 135" in a jiffy.....in fact I am looking at my dive comp right now and it says 133', but I KNOW I came out at 120' and then followed the sand shelf down to look over and freak myself out (I am afraid of heights but I just HAVE to look over the edge every time!!!!!). :) I call it *reenacting the scene from the Abyss*.

I have been checking my depth at the drop off. Now that makes sense!

Okay Christi next year!

renpirate:

I'm hoping to do DT when I go to Coz next month but I want to be sure to buddy with a competent diver that realizes what staying close at deep depth means. Being a lone diver means you sometimes get teamed up with someone that does not have the same definition of some basic stuff as you do. In the past I have not asked enough questions, thinking I was being rude or intrusive if I did. I'm past that now. Diver, we need to talk. :)

I think I will avoid Barracuda with my twin jet splits.

Christi:
Aww, you're sweet :) I really was serious about the 120...but I was teasing you because MANY people say they came out at 130, 140 or 150 even...I always wondered if these people were diving the same place I was :) You probably did dip down a bit and that's where your reading came from.

Next year, I promise I'll be in the picture :)

Yep,the old Suunto Stinger gave me 118 when I dove there at Christmas....but I will admit to dives in past years(2 back in'97) that went below 150....I'm older now:wink:

Ron

Hmmm. This is interesting. On my two dives at Devil's Throat. I made a deliberate effort to stay above 130' at the exit and once came out at 129' and on the other dive at 128'. Others in the group came out between 130' and 133'. Maybe it shows a tendency for divers to drop a bit in depth while becoming vertical and taking a reading upon exiting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom