Cozumel: An Oasis in the Winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
I'm hoping to do DT when I go to Coz next month but I want to be sure to buddy with a competent diver that realizes what staying close at deep depth means. Being a lone diver means you sometimes get teamed up with someone that does not have the same definition of some basic stuff as you do. In the past I have not asked enough questions, thinking I was being rude or intrusive if I did. I'm past that now. Diver, we need to talk. :)

I think I will avoid Barracuda with my twin jet splits.

That sounds likea real smart thing to do as far as talking with your buddy. Sometimes it can be really hit and miss. I consider myself really lucky that my wife dives too!

Just a side note on Barracuda: Operators rarely go there unless they have a whole group of experienced divers who have dove with them for a couple of days. I mention this because I don't want to get anybody real excited about diving this reef and put some dive operator in a bad spot.

DT was my first dive that deep and I was a bit concerned but it was very cool. I came out at 129' and didn't even know about looking over the wall edge. All I knew was that I had 1 minute of no deco time showing so I was very concious about not going any deeper. There was quite a difference in the different types of computers. I use an Aladin Prime and my buddy had a Suunto D9. His went into deco before he even got to the exit.

The main reason I can't wait to get back is so I can enjoy the dives much more since I won't be as overwhelmed by them.

renpirate:
That sounds likea real smart thing to do as far as talking with your buddy. Sometimes it can be really hit and miss. I consider myself really lucky that my wife dives too!

Just a side note on Barracuda: Operators rarely go there unless they have a whole group of experienced divers who have dove with them for a couple of days. I mention this because I don't want to get anybody real excited about diving this reef and put some dive operator in a bad spot.

renpirate, I heard that if you're not careful you can slip down to 200 ft after you exit. Wonder if there is any down-draft at that point? Do you thinik it might be a good idea to put a tap of air into your BC as you exit the throat to avoid the sharp drop in depth that can occur? Never dove it so I have no idea.

pilot fish:
renpirate, I heard that if you're not careful you can slip down to 200 ft after you exit. Wonder if there is any down-draft at that point? Do you thinik it might be a good idea to put a tap of air into your BC as you exit the throat to avoid the sharp drop in depth that can occur? Never dove it so I have no idea.

Well, it comes down to bouyancy control. Like any wall dive, if you aren't careful you can go down pretty quick if you are negative. Speaking of bout\yancy control, this is a really important one to master since you are swimming through what are "technically" caves. I have a really bad feeling that someone with bad bouyancy control took out the cross.

My suggestion is to make sure you are neutral as you exit and be prepared for current changes. You can get down drafts along any of the walls, some have it occur more often than others. It's a great dive and I know you will enjoy it.

renpirate:
Well, it comes down to bouyancy control. Like any wall dive, if you aren't careful you can go down pretty quick if you are negative. Speaking of bout\yancy control, this is a really important one to master since you are swimming through what are "technically" caves. I have a really bad feeling that someone with bad bouyancy control took out the cross.

My suggestion is to make sure you are neutral as you exit and be prepared for current changes. You can get down drafts along any of the walls, some have it occur more often than others. It's a great dive and I know you will enjoy it.

If I'm lucky enough to do it I'll be sure to be neutral and watch my depth. Thanks for the heads up.

Would you take a camera and strobe on that dive, or do you think that might be too much multi tasking ?

pilot fish:
If I'm lucky enough to do it I'll be sure to be neutral and watch my depth. Thanks for the heads up.

Would you take a camera and strobe on that dive, or do you think that might be too much multi tasking ?

I think it depends on your skill level. I haven't been able to convice my wife to let me get a camera so I can't speak from experience. Two people who dove with us last time had cameras and seemed to do okay.

renpirate:
I think it depends on your skill level. I haven't been able to convice my wife to let me get a camera so I can't speak from experience. Two people who dove with us last time had cameras and seemed to do okay.

She might be smart. Sometimes people with cameras are terrible dive buddies. I always tell a buddy that they are more important than any shot I could get and that if he needs me and I'm not looking, grab me right away. I can always get another shot.

I don't like taking a camera on real deep dives, 100 ft plus, but if there is a lot of stuff to take pics of, I'd like to have it.

renpirate,

Thanks for the great report. It covers a lot in a short space. A good simple reference for people that have never been there. Good advice included.

I too am a fan of Deep Blue having used them each visit. Can't wait to get back, but only so many vacations days per year.

. . . . wistfully waiting for retirement . . .

Wristshot

Fin59:
His report says Hacienda San Miguel...looks like a nice place
http://www.haciendasanmiguel.com/Hotel Info/home.htm

That place does look awesome. My wife and were looking at it on the web, and were wondering what to do once your topside? I did not see a pool to lounge by and it is not on the main drag near the beach (I know, theres not much beach anywhere). Just curious.

Isn't/Wasn't there a dive op who would do DT with the big tanks and go over the wall to 150' and then up? I remember Chas or someone telling me about it a few years ago.....they said it was spectacular and virgin because no one ever does it hardly.

Anyone know of what I speak?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom