Cozumel changed to spearing destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

averagediver

Registered
Reaction score
I just read a post form a diver that speared 25 lionfish on recent trip. We will be in Cozumel, first week of December. Is there a lot of spearing going on? I just want to dive,shoot vids and have a good time, but not see a bunch of killing going on.

While some divers are removing Lion-fish not all are, most don't have a sling so it really isn't a killing field going on down here.
I do like to remove lion fish to eat or even feed to other fish but I would leave my sling on the boat if it was a big deal and I would guess others would be kind and do the same if you asked.
However I agree with Chuckitall lion fish need to be removed from the reefs whenever we can.
If you check out some of the info on them in these waters they are growing much faster and larger than they do their home ocean.
Enjoy your vacation shoot some video and have some fun

I just read a post form a diver that speared 25 lionfish on recent trip. We will be in Cozumel, first week of December. Is there a lot of spearing going on? I just want to dive,shoot vids and have a good time, but not see a bunch of killing going on.

You won't. It's a marine park and as such, you will not see spearfishing going on (other than lionfish).
If you disagree with spearing of lionfish, then you might want to avoid diving in the western Atlantic between Brazil and North Carolina :)

I don't care for a DM to be hunting lions as I prefer s/he focus more on leading, finding fish and special sights, and of course back up safety.

It'd be good to ask the dive Op to be put on boats without hunters, depending on the Op.

I don't care for a DM to be hunting lions as I prefer s/he focus more on leading, finding fish and special sights, and of course back up safety.

It'd be good to ask the dive Op to be put on boats without hunters, depending on the Op.

Is this really an issue? I've done a bit of lionfish hunting. Have you? It basically amounts to strapping a foldspear to my thigh and doing the exact same dive I'd be doing without it. I drift. I look. I stop. I take a picture. I shoot a little video. I shoot a lionfish. Frankly, spearing the lionfish takes less time than a lot of photo stops.
I'm sure there are other methods of lionfish hunting, but that's mine. Were I your DM, I do not think it would impact your dive in any significant way.

Is this really an issue? I've done a bit of lionfish hunting. Have you? It basically amounts to strapping a foldspear to my thigh and doing the exact same dive I'd be doing without it. I drift. I look. I stop. I take a picture. I shoot a little video. I shoot a lionfish. Frankly, spearing the lionfish takes less time than a lot of photo stops.
I'm sure there are other methods of lionfish hunting, but that's mine. Were I your DM, I do not think it would impact your dive in any significant way.
Ok, so you have not dived with a DM who spends all his time looking for targets...?

Ok, so you have not dived with a DM who spends all his time looking for targets...?

No. That's why I asked if it is really an issue. It's always been more of a 'target of opportunity' rather than a 'gotta find a lionfish' thing.

That's exactly my thinking when I go diving. Read my post #59 in
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/401501-scuba-club-cozumel.html
where I describe this kind of thing.

Adam

Don, I appreciate the 'safety factor', but honestly on my 08/2010 week long trip I enjoyed those dives where the DMs (who are probably bored out of their minds) got to do their thing (fun hunting), and they left me alone to do my thing........I didn't miss the usual tank-banging dog-an-pony show one bit!

Back
Top Bottom