Cozumel Choices -- help me!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a fellow poor single who has travelled alone to Coz, my best solo trip was staying at Caribe Blu. It's more of a diver's hotel, it's waterfront and it has the little restaurant upstairs where it's really easy to strike up a conversation over a meal/snack. I've never dove with Blue Angel but I know they have package deals with diving and hotel so that would be a cost effective option, plus over 1/2 the guests there will be diving with Blue Angel so you'll meet all kinds of new friends! Plus it's really fun when you start meeting people and everyone hangs out on their balconies or downstairs drinking beer in the evenings. Very fun place for a single.....

I've also stayed at Vista del Mar but I travelled with a friend that time. I don't know if I'd stay there alone--there isn't a bar or meeting place of any kind so you end up hanging out in town. Which is fine, but sometimes it's nice just to be able to chill at the hotel when you've been diving all day.

So, of your choices, my vote for a single trip would be for Caribe Blu and Blue Angel. :)

cxg31s:
So, of your choices, my vote for a single trip would be for Caribe Blu and Blue Angel. :)

I went as a single last month, stayed a Casa Mexicana and dove with BXTSea. It was awesome, but the rooms at CM were $40-50 more than Caribe Blu. I dove with Blue Angel on a dive or two and the boat, crew and DM were really good. I wouldn't have a problem diving with them for a week, especially if I was staying at Caribe Blu. The restaurant is very relaxed and pleasant. The whole atmosphere there is laid back and it was easy to strike up conversations.

If I go back alone I will probably stay at CM and dive with BXTSea for the most part, but if Ineeded to save a few hundred dollars over a week I would do Caribe Blu and Blue Angel.

Thanks everyone! I was leaning towards Blu Angel and Carib Blu and now I think I am sold.

Will let you know how it goes.

I too am a "poor single diver", my g/f had to 'bail out' as she can't get time off. I am booked for the Barracuda starting Oct. 14th. any type of bar life around their? or should I head else where to find some fellow divers and chat?

We just got back from a week in Coz and we dove with Blue XT. Christi is extremely fair and has great DM's. I couldn’t have asked for a better dive vacation. Just who ever you go with make sure they have a small limit. With Blue XT it was 6 people so it was a nice dive experience. Some of the bigger operations had 15 or better and it looked crazy. Smaller was definitely better. Thanks Christi.:D

Barracuda has a nice little "no name" bar with plenty of tables around and a nice little pool. I didn't try the food but it looked good. The waitresses are attractive and very nice and very easy to talk to. There seemed to be plenty of divers around, even though it was really slow on the island when I was there. Jake and I had a good time there and only time kept us from going back for more. Very laid back and confortable, right on the water. Find Camillo's and Sambero, across from Villa Las Anklas (help me out Jake). Very inexpensive and very good.

Time kept you from going back to No Name....

I have only been there a few times but it is a really great place to relax. As a side note, they have two turtles named Emily and Wilma.

Sabores is right across the street from Las Anclas. It is on avenue 5 between calle 3&5. They are only open for lunch, but it is very good and only about 50 pesos.

jakes78:
Time kept you from going back to No Name.....

Oh, man, are you going to pay when I am there in November and you are back in Appleville....Apple Heights...Appleton...whatever....:D

jakes78:
As a side note, they have two turtles named Emily and Wilma.

I forgot about them. They sure were trying to get out of that bowl. Maybe they know something we don't !

jakes78:
Sabores is right across the street from Las Anclas. It is on avenue 5 between calle 3&5. They are only open for lunch, but it is very good and only about 50 pesos.

Sabores, of course. Very nice people. The chicken mole was good but it took a while to get used to a brown sauce on chicken that had a spicy chocolate flavor. The fajitas looked great....next time.

ehrmanna:
I am spending a long weekend with a friend in Playa del Carmen in 2 weeks. I am going to head down earlier to do some diving in Cozumel. Since I am alone and on a budget, I've kinda narrowed down my (many, many) choices to:

Blue Angel/Carib Blu

Dive with Martin/Vista Del Mar

I know there are a million dive options in Cozumel but I am forgetting an obvious choice?

Remember I am single, alone, not flush with cash, bringing no gear and LOVE to dive. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!
I just returned (2 weeks ago) from Cozumel, and stayed at Caribe Blu and dove with Blue Angel.

Best trip to Coz ever!

You cannot go wrong; I go 2 times per year for a long weekend and have for the past 7 years. I'm married, my wife dives, but most of the time I go as a single diver.

If you contact Jeanie directly, you should be able to get your room at $65 per night and each 2 tank dive at $53 - catch is you need to use pay pal for the deposit ($100) and pay cash for the balance - pay by credit card and you pay quite a bit more.

If you stay there request a room on the ground or 2nd floor because the water pressure in the shower really is weak the higher you go.

Her is the info and tell Jeanie Rob from Miami sent you:

Jeanie Buscher
BLUE ANGEL DIVE SHOP
www.blueangel-scuba.com
Oceanfront at Caribe Blu Hotel
www.caribeblu.net
caribeblu@prodigy.net.mx
Cozumel, Mexico

I will be in Cozumel from September - December 2006. During that time please I will not be answering the toll free number.

US Fax 1- 775-239-4291

Phone Number from US to Mexico
DIVE SHOP - 011 52 987 872 1631
HOTEL - 011 52 987 872 7258

She is great by the way - good luck!

Jupiter31:
If you stay there request a room on the ground or 2nd floor because the water pressure in the shower really is weak the higher you go.

Now THAT is useful information !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom