Cozumel-Diver lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Devil's Throat is definately an advanced dive site and new divers should not be allowed to dive there. Am I correct is thinking this Japanese tourist that might have perished was from criuse ship? Experienced divers should not do this site with an 80 cuft aluminum tank on just air. I learned the hard way.There's an interesting discussion on this very topic in the "I panicked in Devil's Throat at 122 ft " thread.

Anyone have anything additional about this poor diver?

Devil's Throat is definately an advanced dive site and new divers should not be allowed to dive there. Am I correct is thinking this Japanese tourist that might have perished was from criuse ship? Experienced divers should not do this site with an 80 cuft aluminum tank on just air. I learned the hard way.There's an interesting discussion on this very topic in the "I panicked in Devil's Throat at 122 ft " thread.

Anyone have anything additional about this poor diver?

What does being from a cruise ship have to do with anything??

I think maybe Pilot Fish was confusing my Cruise Ship dive experience with another Japanese woman with the woman that is missing/dead. My fault. They are two different people.

It just seemed to be in the same vein as this sophomoric statement:

IMO, the price you pay for diving with cruise ship people........but, that's just me maybe.........

Maybe a better description would be "sophomoronic" statement :rolleyes:

What does being from a cruise ship have to do with anything??

That's a serious question from a tech diver?

OK, all good ops do NOT mix pod people, cruise ship "divers," with regular divers because MOST cruise ship divers are not current, are not as serious about diving as those that do not go on cruises and usually have very few loggged dives. Diving to cruise ship people is an after thought, a ship board activity, and not their main focus. They are notorious for injuring reefs with thier lack of skills and disregard for the uw environment. They also have rental gear and a rental mentality about diving. Is this a generalization? Sure. But it is more true than not.

To lump all divers from cruise ships in the "can't dive very well, damages the reef" category is no different than saying all people of Japanese descent are poor divers.

Explain the relevance of pointing out the lost diver is from a cruise ship (incorrect) or of Japanese descent. Will that help find her or comfort her family?? Stereotyping people like this is one step away from racism :11:

For the record, I do a lot of cruising (14 cruises so far with 3 more booked) and I'm also a trimix diver. I've not seen the reef carnage you describe on any of the dives I've booked from a ship. If you'd like to see this "cruise ship diver's" skills in the water, I invite you to come here and do some dives with me anytime. I dive just about every weekend. Do you??

Generalizations for sure, but cruiseship people or not, a dive op should not take divers to Devils Throat without having seen them dive 1st.

I agree about MOST cruiseship divers, but some of us do go on cruises with our non-diving family members. That being said, I would not expect a dive op to take me to Devils Throat while on a cruise stop.

That's a serious question from a tech diver?

OK, all good ops do NOT mix pod people, cruise ship "divers," with regular divers because MOST cruise ship divers are not current, are not as serious about diving as those that do not go on cruises and usually have very few loggged dives. Diving to cruise ship people is an after thought, a ship board activity, and not their main focus. They are notorious for injuring reefs with thier lack of skills and disregard for the uw environment. They also have rental gear and a rental mentality about diving. Is this a generalization? Sure. But it is more true than not.

Yes, diver segregation MUST be based on their preferred mode of vacationing, and NOT on anything trivial like EXPERIENCE! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Diet is also a factor as it's well documented that fish eaters make for MUCH better divers because to be a fish, one must EAT fish! :eyebrow:

On a serious note, the Devils throat is an advanced dive, but based on what I've read in the way of facts, or maybe lack there of, I can not determine if this incident occurred on that reef.

As usual, never let the truth get in the way of complete speculation. A prudent suggestion would be to determine what did happen based on more than speculation before carrying this thread into the general subjects along the lines of experience, DiveOp blame, training, etc.

I don't expect that to occur, but what the heck, I'll throw it out there. Unfortunately, Don Henley had it right in the song "Dirty Laundry", and boy a lot of folks sure fit that mold!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom