Cozumel in early September ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dacruz831

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, can anyone please give me advice on visiting and diving Cozumel in the 1st week of September? I want to go but Im worried about the weather!
Thank you everyone!

You never know but I have gone Labor Day weekend probably 5 or 6 times with great weather.

It is hurricane season and I avoid Caribbean dive travel in September. It seems to be the month that a high concentration of storms run through the Caribbean. Get some travel insurance and buy it before a named storm or you won't have coverage.

Book a hotel through hotel.com so refundable, book airfare with credit or refund, and don’t pre-book diving, Zero weather risk. Casa Mexicana, Southwest, and your dive op of choice ….

It basically comes down to how flexible you are from a scheduling and personality standpoint. Even during the peak of hurricane season the odds of week-long vacation being affected by a storm are probably less than 10 percent , but obviously not zero. If the uncertainty is going to drive you nuts maybe wait until winter (but then the odds of a Norte costing you a dive day or two are probably much higher than a hurricane affecting you in summer ).

FYI: Cozumel can go years without a hurricane , or it can have 3 or 4 in a matter of months. You only begin to have a better idea 7-10 days out if storm formation in the general area is likely —the forecast tracks usually only tighten up around 3 days out (maybe 5 if models are in good agreement ). Just remember , there are probably 50 million people in the US who have to worry about hurricane season every year from the North Carolina coast all the way to South Texas (and that doesn’t even count the occasional storm hitting points further north ). Of course it is probably worse to ride out a hurricane in a foreign country than the US, but even that isn’t cut and dry.

It’s my favorite time of year in Cozumel. The water is warm and there are far less people. There is very little chance of a Norte closing port. The hurricane season from from June 1st to November 31st. It’s worth booking in September . Your chances of diving daily in perfect weather are far greater in September than anytime in the winter.

We've done it about 5 times. I get CFAR insurance that covers the entire cost of the trip. I haven't used it once but having it means that I don't stress the weather. The water is very warm, the currents fairly predictable, and there's fewer people. It is very humid and the mozzies are out in numbers at dusk and dawn.

I've been there in early September the last three years. The weather and diving have been great every time. (knocks on wood)

But as others have already said, book refundable rates and/or get trip insurance.

I was there last September and also had concerns about the weather. Ended up being a week of absolutely perfect weather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom