Cozumel in October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coll

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all!

I've booked a trip to the Cozumel area for October 5th to 12th, I was wondering if there are any must-do dives for that time of year? I'll be staying at The Grand Mayan Riviera, if anyone is familiar with the hotel/the area I would greatly appreciate any tips for must see spots/good dive shops.

Thanks so much!

~Coll

If you are talking about the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya, that Resort is in Playa Del Carmen. You won't be on Cozumel, unless you first take the Ferry over! As to "must do" dives in October, all of the Dives on the Cozumel Reefs are "must do", pretty much year around. The only thing different about October is that it is smack dab in the middle of Hurricane Season -- which runs from August through November. No problems, UNLESS you happen to be there when a Hurricane blows through!

Agree with DjDiver - my daughter and I have been to Coz several times in October, along with trips in mid-summer and also in March. No real differences that I can remember, as noted, the dives are all good, all the time. Now, if you go in January when the eagle rays are around, that'll make a difference on the site selections. But other than that, just go with it and have fun.

As others have pointed out, the "commute" to Cozumel will involve getting yourself to PDC, then taking a ferry over. It's doable, and you can probably find dive ops that don't go out until after you arrive (the ones that cater to cruise ship passengers, for instance), but probably not something you'll want to do every day of your vacation. There is diving available on the mainland, probably not as good as Cozumel though I've heard of bullshark dives that might be interesting, but a heck of a lot more convenient than having to take the ferry back and forth every day. As your profile indicates less than 100 dives, you'll probably be happy with the mainland diving anyway, though I do recommend hitting Cozumel at least one day to see what you're missing and maybe you'll schedule your next vacation to stay on the island itself.

I would suggest maybe spending a couple of days in Cozumel just to dive. Come over on the the last ferry of the day the night before your dives and get in 3-4 dives per day over the next two days, then head back to your resort. I have dived both the Mainland and Cozumel and while the Mainland's reef is nice, it is by no means a comparison to Cozumels. I have done this a few times in Thailand...stayed at a resort and take a few-days diving excursions. The hardest part will just getting there and you already have accomplished that.

Doh! Sounds like I might be taking the ferry quite a bit. Thanks for the info everyone! Much obliged, here's hoping there's no hurricanes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom