Cozumel vs Cancun - Whale Sharks, Cenotes, and more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

furby076

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

My wife and I are going to Mexico in May. We are looking to do some great diving. My level of experience is Master diver, but I haven't been back to Cancun since my very first open water (post training) many years ago. Thinking back the dives in Cancun were a bit lackluster. Back then I bought a 35 mm film camera (2008) with a plastic case from the dive shop for $30. Now I am going back with my Nauticam so plan on taking somewhat slightly better pictures :dork2:

Given that, we arelooking to do the following
  • Cenote dives (maybe 2 days)
  • Whale shark dive (or snorkel) if this is in season
  • Regular fun diving

What are your thoughts on the best area to get all three? Cancun? Cozumel? Playa? My concern with Cozumel is the ferry ride to cenote, plus the airport flight in and out sucks (we are coming from Philadelphia). Other than diving we plan on lounging on the beech drinking and eating lots of food.

If you happen to have a recommended operator and/or All-Inclusive (with an operator) then that would be a big help.

Thanks in advance

Best Diving - by far, Cozumel
Cenotes - PDC is closer, but easily done from Cozumel
Best beach - PDC
Whale sharks - don't think it's season but someone else can answer
Recommend Dive Shop - Cozumel - Aldora, PDC- Fantasea Divers

It is not whale shark season. I would spend maybe one day on the mainland doing cenotes and the rest of the time diving cozumel. You can go to cozumel and find a company that will set you up with cenote diving on the mainland.
I have never really heard of good diving on the mainland and really have no desire except for cenotes. I would fly in and out of cozumel and stay in cozumel.

As said, it is not whale shark season. If you don't want to deal with flying into Coz, you could base on the mainland. Unless you really like cities, I wouldn't recommend PDC, but there are all inclusive resorts all along the coast south of there, which would give you some good reef diving and easy access to the cenotes. We have stayed a couple of times at the Catalonia resort in Puerto Aventuras, and dived through Dive Aventuras. I was surprised at how good the reef diving there was, and the cenotes are close. The resort has a lovely beach and some good snorkeling, too. The Catalonia will pick you up for an additional fee.

How long are you staying? I did a trip two years ago where I stayed in Coz for 4 nights and did some great reef dives, then stayed in PDC next 3 nights and did the whale shark snorkel and a couple of cenotes and rented a car to check out Tulum and Coba. Flying into Coz and out of Cancun was no more difficult or expensive on that trip but you could always fly in/out of Cancun.

May may be a bit early for the whale sharks. I think the season starts end of June.

Even in season I believe you can only snorkel with the whale sharks.

We only stay in Coz and we always fly to Cancun non-stop.

I got a van guy to run you to the ferry in playa to come over to Coz. Same van guy picked us up in Playa and ran us up to Punta Sam by Cancun to catch the whale shark boat.

Where you stay and how you arrange your trip really depends on personal priorities. In my experience (which is admittedly limited on the mainland side of the channel), the diving on Cozumel is far, far superior to anything available from either Cancun or Playa Del Carmen. On the other hand, the beaches at PDC are far superior to Cozumel, which is mostly ironstone shore. I've done the Cenotes once, and they just don't hold any charm for me - I'd much rather spend my time inderwater with inspiring coral structures and abundant sea life; the Cenotes are rather barren. Night life is far more exciting in Cancun, even in PDC; Cozumel is more laid back than both, but that suits me just fine. As for food, Cozumel has a wealth of great restaurants, everything from fine dining (Kinta, Kondesa, La Cocay, Buccano's at Night), traditional Italian (Guido's, Rolandi's, New Especias, La Terraza), and Yucatan Mexican, from more upscale places like Casa Mission and Pancho's Backyard to great little locally owned places off the beaten track, like El Moro (wild fun and GREAT food), Pescaderia San Carlos (great fresh seafood), La Perlita (lionfish specials on Thursdays), and all sorts of little local Loncherias, like Cha Cha's Kitchen and La Candela. In case you can't guess, I'm a real fan of Cozumel, because for me Cozumel has everything I want -great diving and great food (I do NOT do all-inclusive resorts on Cozumel). If you really want to do the Cenotes, I'd suggest spending a couple of days at PDC, do the Cenotes, enjoy the beaches, take a trip to Tulum or Coba, then spend 4or 5 days at Cozumel. You can fly into and out of Cancun, though if your return flight is leaving before about 1:00 P.M. , I'd spend your last night in PDC.

BTW, Whale Shark season runs from late June into September, and you can only snorkel with the Whale Sharks - no scuba (at least in Mexico). The Whale Shark congregate off of Isla Mujeres and Isla Holbox, and you can catch Whale Shark snorkeling excursions from Cancun or Isla Mujeres. While it is possible to to this in a single day from Cozumel, it is a long, exhausting day. And don't confuse snorkeling with Whale Sharks with the normal relaxing snorkeling you might do over a coral reef - you'll be swimming HARD to keep up, it's a real workout, not for the out-of-shape.

Whale Shark season does start in May. It should be around May 15 or so. It may be delayed a bit as was the case last year when permits were not issued until june. We are planning for May 20 start depending on permits. It is snorkel only. The season ends around Sept 17.

ws.jpg

Last edited:
JFS,

Thank you for that post - I have been looking everywhere for this information. I will be on Isla Mujeres from May 23-26 (In Cozumel for 10 days before that) and am desperately hoping to take a whale shark tour. Do you have an idea when this decision will be made, and can you recommend an operator taking trips out of Isla Mujeres?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom