Question Crotch strap for a jacket BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe loop it over the tank cam strap close to the slot on the BC?
Might be off center but with a 1 or 1.5 inch crotch strap not so bad?

Just make sure your tank is secure.

From online pictures it looks like the tank band goes through slots in the wing to where it's seen to the harness/backpad. I would use cheap 1 inch ratchet strap webbing to run a loop between the wing and backpad around the tank band, and have a big loop on the other end for the waist strap to go through. Use some plastic 1 inch triglides (fabric stores or sewing section of Walmart) to close the loops on the 1 inch webbing. If you like how it works you could always sew the loop later.
I would not run the loop around the tank band over the wing... That would pull the bottom of the wing in making it effectively a horseshoe, and make trying to fully inflate the wing pull the crotch strap tighter (which could get.... Unpleasant?).

Respectfully,

James

Another thought is to get the waist band and shoulder straps tightened before inflating the wing.

@Jcp2
I have tried doing this. As i said for some time after the start everything is fine. the real drama unfolds later and for most of my dive i am holding it down.
Will see what @James79 suggested works.

Thanks

From online pictures it looks like the tank band goes through slots in the wing to where it's seen to the harness/backpad. I would use cheap 1 inch ratchet strap webbing to run a loop between the wing and backpad around the tank band, and have a big loop on the other end for the waist strap to go through. Use some plastic 1 inch triglides (fabric stores or sewing section of Walmart) to close the loops on the 1 inch webbing. If you like how it works you could always sew the loop later.
I would not run the loop around the tank band over the wing... That would pull the bottom of the wing in making it effectively a horseshoe, and make trying to fully inflate the wing pull the crotch strap tighter (which could get.... Unpleasant?).

Respectfully,

James
Thanks for the idea.
Though its slight confusing to understand , will read it again with Bc next to me . I have a dive trip coming up in mid feb 2023, and i will be back home from sea by 3rd week jan . So will try to figure out something within that span.

I'm sure a D-ring could be retrofitted to the back of the BCD somewhere and then a one inch webbing installed to work as a crotch strap.

I have no idea what the dive shops are like in India, but hopefully you can find someone to sort it out.

Thanks for the idea.
Though its slight confusing to understand , will read it again with Bc next to me . I have a dive trip coming up in mid feb 2023, and i will be back home from sea by 3rd week jan . So will try to figure out something within that span.
If I understand the design of the Zuma correctly (which is not guaranteed since I've never held one in person) I you should be able to run the webbing between the backpad and the wing. If not, you could sew a D-ring to the bottom of the back pad (taking care not to puncture the wing), or attach to the back of the waist straps (near your kidneys) to make a split crotch strap. I'll try to take some pictures using my BPW to mock it up later.

Respectfully,

James

1) Backplate Wing is the way to go! IMO, you'll ove BP+W, and if it were up to me, I'd eliminate 80% of the jacket-style BCDs from the market.

2) But DIY is very possible!

You absolutely can retrofit a crotch-strap, although doing so may depend on the layout of the BCD and/or your DIY skills. The way I'd do this is stitch a short length of 2-inch webbing near the bottom creating a small loop. Inside that loop is a metal tri-glide. Obviously, you want to avoid piercing any part of your BCD, which has the bladder. You'll want to use a thick/strong/durable thread, such as the kind used for outdoor purposes.

Next, the crotch-strap is just webbing, triglides, and d-rings, and removable or replaceable!

Here are some photos of some of my crappy stitching efforts. For thick or tough nylon material, you may want a "leather stitching kit" or "sewing awl", rather than forcing a needle through by hand. If you're wondering why the stiching looks like crap, is because I did it by hand, with a needle and pliers, hah.

20221203_074529.jpg

20221203_074613.jpg

Use additional triglides to secure the crotch-strap. (apparently I need to insert that top section of webbing through a 2nd time, just noticed!
20221203_074633.jpg

I disagree with you. I would make it 100%
Sorry, but you're wrong. Jacket style BCDs do serve a purpose.

They're really good money-makers for local dive stores, cluttering craigslist and dive-closets, and contributing to local land-fills. What would we do without Jacket style BCDs? Next think you know, people might start recommending scrapping annual VIPs, leaving their snorkel at home, and refusing to pay hundreds of dollars for peeing in your wetsuit certifications. Complete anarchy I tell you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom