Question Crotch strap for a jacket BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I understand the design of the Zuma correctly (which is not guaranteed since I've never held one in person) I you should be able to run the webbing between the backpad and the wing. If not, you could sew a D-ring to the bottom of the back pad (taking care not to puncture the wing), or attach to the back of the waist straps (near your kidneys) to make a split crotch strap. I'll try to take some pictures using my BPW to mock it up later.

Respectfully,

James
Yes, agree completely. You should be able to hand sew a ring or even a loop of belting to the bottom of the backpad. Once that is done, making a crotch strap is easy.

I add crotch straps to all my jacket BC's and BP/W's. It is funny how the BP?W enthusiasts all proclaim that a crotch strap is an integral part of the "system" which provides a huge portion of the stability of the rig. Which is probably true... but then don't seem to recommend the use on a normal BC.

The crotch strap functions EXACTLY the same on a jacket BC. The strap is inconvenient on any rig, but I find it generally worthwhile to use one, I hate a sloppy BC/Tank that is flopping all around, riding up and getting crooked on my back.

You can often "harvest" the necessary strap and buckles/hardware from an old pfd and the hand sewing takes 10 minutes and costs about nothing.

I even feel with my dive rite soft plate I would be happier in most situations with a real bpw
Since I kicked open that can of worms....

The general idea of a BPW is that your back-plate, wing, and harness are 3 separate components and then whatever customizations you wish to add. BPWs are very customizable, allowing one to swap parts and pieces, depending on the type of dive, your personal preferences, or even if a component gets damaged. There are a few ways you can also mount items on it.

A soft backplate is a backplate, and generally follows nearly all of the same principles. I use a nylon backplate for sidemount (as seen in earlier photos), although SM is a little bit of a different beast. I'd be willing to use one in BM as well, it would be good for travel. However, my back-mount BP setup uses a steel BP because that's what I happened to find on the used market at the time I put it together, and the BP weight means you don't need to add weights.

You could make a loop around the fabric which holds the tank band and go down from there. I would use some half-inch nylon flat strapping and a plastic latch to make it easy to adjust - both available from any decent hardware store.

Attachments

• crotch strap 1.jpg
    crotch strap 1.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 42
Sorry, but you're wrong. Jacket style BCDs do serve a purpose.
Excuse me and thanks for the corrective input. But you left something out, If I might say so. They look good on poodles. However, if I had one (a poodle) I would not put thru such ridicule.

@James79 , @SlugMug , @eponym
Thanks a lot for your inputs and suggestions. For sure i will try to figure out this way. It will be little task but sure will give a try before totally scrapping the thought..

@Searcaigh , there are no local diveshops in mumbai (even elsewhere in india) which will help in these kinds of one-off retrofits, so i will have to get the materials (from amazon)needed and head to a bag/heavy luggage repair shop and explain him what i need. Only major thing to be careful is the bladder, if the fellow agrees to do it.

Thanks again.

@James79 , @SlugMug , @eponym
Thanks a lot for your inputs and suggestions. For sure i will try to figure out this way. It will be little task but sure will give a try before totally scrapping the thought..

@Searcaigh , there are no local diveshops in mumbai (even elsewhere in india) which will help in these kinds of one-off retrofits, so i will have to get the materials (from amazon)needed and head to a bag/heavy luggage repair shop and explain him what i need. Only major thing to be careful is the bladder, if the fellow agrees to do it.

Thanks again.
Awesome, feel free to keep us updated, I'm a big DIY fan.

Reading my "crystal ball" I can see a BPW in your future. (And I'm not discouraging going the DIY route first) I'd suggest keeping an eye on the used market in your area, perhaps setup some saved searches with notifications. You never know when a killer deal will pop up.

If you ever make it over to Dubai, you'll be like a kid in a toy shop.

I recommend a place called Dive Garage if you do make it.

Dive Garage

I just looked it up, is this where "Scuba Dubai" used to be? I thought that Al-Boom took over Scuba Dubai place.

I just looked it up, is this where "Scuba Dubai" used to be? I thought that Al-Boom took over Scuba Dubai place.
Same area (AL Quoz) but a Km down the road from the old Scuba Dubai / Al Boom shop. Al Boom closed their Al Quoz shop a few years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom