Cruise ship passenger dies on Discover Scuba in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I look at it differently. While there is no great way to die, as I get closer, I find that I envy my friends who are doing something they love, something adventurous, and feel bad for my friends who are spending years and a million dollars (because that's where the insurance runs out) battling cancer or congestive heart failure.
Yep...
I understand what you are saying, but as I get older 62 seems like an awful young age to die, although I am sure that there is no perfect age to die. But if he hadn't overexerted his heart and lungs trying discover scuba - he might have more time to spend with family and friends and go on cruises and have fun. Oh well, at least it sounds like it was quick so that is a good thing.

I'm sure he knew that he was taking a chance but he did it anyway, so that was his choice.
Yep, too. Got to agree with both ideas. Life is a learning experience anyway...

I guess I look at it differently. While there is no great way to die, as I get closer, I find that I envy my friends who are doing something they love, something adventurous, and feel bad for my friends who are spending years and a million dollars (because that's where the insurance runs out) battling cancer or congestive heart failure.

Frank:

Yes, and NO!!! If that "what the hell" experience risked someone else's safety......

Note sure what "active" COPD is. The disease is progressive and non-reversible... either you have it or you don't.
Oops! Thou art correct... the wording is
• Active RAD (asthma), EIB, COPD or history of the same with abnormal PFS or positive challenge.
The "active" refers to RAD only, & I misread - and misquoted - it.
Bottom line is that if the guy had COPD and reported it on his pre-dive medical questionaire, the ship and/or dive operator screwed up big time. If he had COPD and didn't indicate it on his medical history questionaire, then he most likely caused his own demise. Of course if there was no pre-dive medical questionaire... ...
Rick

Frank:

Yes, and NO!!! If that "what the hell" experience risked someone else's safety......

Yes, of course. I guess I wasn't thinking about it being a DSD where someone had to act. See, I usually dive by myself...

While I agree that one should be able to risk their life, I disagree with omitting information from a medical form so that you are allowed to participate. It's just not very considerate of the other people that have to watch your death play out on their vacation. Same with suicide, do what you want to do but leave the general public out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really doubt that he thought "if I dive I die". Probably thought that he could get away with it.

Oops! Thou art correct... the wording is The "active" refers to RAD only, & I misread - and misquoted - it.
Bottom line is that if the guy had COPD and reported it on his pre-dive medical questionaire, the ship and/or dive operator screwed up big time. If he had COPD and didn't indicate it on his medical history questionaire, then he most likely caused his own demise. Of course if there was no pre-dive medical questionaire... ...
Rick
COPD is a relative risk condition, not a severe risk condition per the RSTC form.
"Active Reactive Airway Disease, Active Asthma, Exercise Induced Bronchospasm, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease or history of same with abnormal PFTs or a positive exercise challenge are concerns for diving."

Seems like he shouldn't have been medically cleared to participate.

Divers have been taught that SCUBA is "safe" and tend to lie on medical forms.

Shops don't want to turn away money and people hardly ever die, so they tend to not go overboard with being a hard-ass about medical forms.

It's not all that surprising or unusual.

edit: The dives from the ship are short and not very deep. Unless there was something else big going on, it looks a whole lot more like "someone with COPD and a stent died" than a SCUBA incident. People die every day. Even if he didn't go diving, he could have easily died at Carlos & Charlie's.

flots.

Last edited:
Anyone know what dive Shop?

I would take a guess at Sand Dollar Sports. They have been one of the big Cruise Ship Dive Excusion providers. If I remember correctly I ended diving ith them when the Carnival cruise I was on had to change it's schedule and I had to use the cruise line operator for my dives in Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom