Cruise ship passenger dies on Discover Scuba in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I look at it differently. While there is no great way to die, as I get closer, I find that I envy my friends who are doing something they love, something adventurous, and feel bad for my friends who are spending years and a million dollars (because that's where the insurance runs out) battling cancer or congestive heart failure.

Wookie, I agree 100%!!!! A few years ago I read about a fellow that died of a heart attack while snorkeling in Hawaii. While tragic nonetheless, I commented to some friends, "What a way to go!" You would not believe the backlash I received. I spent to many years in my youth responding to calls at nursing homes and seeing lonely old people rotting away in their own urine and filth. Nope, not me...I hope the good Lord takes me while I'm in a state of bliss and communing with nature.

I understand what you are saying, but as I get older 62 seems like an awful young age to die, although I am sure that there is no perfect age to die. But if he hadn't overexerted his heart and lungs trying discover scuba - he might have more time to spend with family and friends and go on cruises and have fun. Oh well, at least it sounds like it was quick so that is a good thing.

I'm sure he knew that he was taking a chance but he did it anyway, so that was his choice.

Sounds like that's what he was doing, enjoying time with his family

I agree 100% KathyV!
I understand what you are saying, but as I get older 62 seems like an awful young age to die, although I am sure that there is no perfect age to die. But if he hadn't overexerted his heart and lungs trying discover scuba - he might have more time to spend with family and friends and go on cruises and have fun. Oh well, at least it sounds like it was quick so that is a good thing.

I'm sure he knew that he was taking a chance but he did it anyway, so that was his choice.

. . . I spent to many years in my youth responding to calls at nursing homes and seeing lonely old people rotting away in their own urine and filth. . . .

Better than rotting away in someone else's urine and filth.

Sounds like that's what he was doing, enjoying time with his family
I enjoy traveling with my kids but I'd hate to die then, disrupting their trip - seriously. I hope his widow made the best of her cruise with him in storage onboard, but that would be difficult. I'd certainly rather go diving than in a nursing home and I count on the deputy consulate & DAN to make it easy on my family to get me & my stuff back home, but I'd hate to disrupt the trip for others on the boat and at the hotel, too. I don't guess there are many good ways to go that wouldn't be hard on others, other than maybe while saving someone else from tragedy? I've been with & around others on their final day as many of us have, and I guess my mom's was one of the preferable exits: Return from trip, do the laundry, put it away, then have a heart attack they couldn't save her from. It was startling & sad, but she had a good life, we were all around or close by, and so many relatives & friends came that the church luncheon ran out of food - sending me to the house to gather up some of the excess neighbors had brought over. Not so many of those siblings & in-laws left now as we've had so many funerals the last few years.

The most recent was my uncle Mike's. He was but two years older than me, we kinda grew up together, but he kept going as best he could with his brain tumors. The church had folks standing in the foyer for the services and others watching on closed circuit TV from a side room as we still had a good family turnout even tho some of the nieces & nephews couldn't travel to another one so soon, and I guess his entire ski patrol club showed up from everywhere. Different lives, different endings, just make the best as you can.

I enjoy traveling with my kids but I'd hate to die then, disrupting their trip - seriously. I hope his widow made the best of her cruise with him in storage onboard, but that would be difficult...

Your comment made me think of an article I once read in the paper about an elderly man that died during a trip to China. His widow had him cremated, packed the ashes in her suitcase and continued with her trip, saying "He wouldn't have wanted me to miss the Great Wall!"

I'm surprised that NAUI would classify those same disorders as "Absolute Contraindications" ...
NAUI:
Absolute Contraindications:
• History of spontaneous pneumothorax
• Active RAD (asthma), EIB, COPD or history of
the same with abnormal PFS or positive challenge
• Restrictive diseases with exercise impairment
but I suppose if the RSTC sez it's ok, then the ship & dive operator are off the hook, and the victim is just dead.
Rick :(

COPD is a relative risk condition, not a severe risk condition per the RSTC form.
"Active Reactive Airway Disease, Active Asthma, Exercise Induced Bronchospasm, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease or history of same with abnormal PFTs or a positive exercise challenge are concerns for diving."

I'm surprised that NAUI would classify those same disorders as "Absolute Contraindications" ...
but I suppose if the RSTC sez it's ok, then the ship & dive operator are off the hook, and the victim is just dead.
Rick :(

Unless the diver said "yes" on the form and the operator didn't get a physician sign off, or simply asked the participant to fill out another for saying NO or coached them that any "YES" answers would mean they couldn't participate. Nod, nod... wink, wink.

Assuming it was a PADI program, the DSD registration form includes "Do you have a history of respiratory problems, severe attacks of hayfever or allergies, or lung disease?" A YES answer to that would require the participant to have a full medical release signed off by a physician.

I enjoy traveling with my kids but I'd hate to die then, disrupting their trip - seriously. I hope his widow made the best of her cruise with him in storage onboard, but that would be difficult. I'd certainly rather go diving than in a nursing home and I count on the deputy consulate & DAN to make it easy on my family to get me & my stuff back home, but I'd hate to disrupt the trip for others on the boat and at the hotel, too. I don't guess there are many good ways to go that wouldn't be hard on others, other than maybe while saving someone else from tragedy? I've been with & around others on their final day as many of us have, and I guess my mom's was one of the preferable exits: Return from trip, do the laundry, put it away, then have a heart attack they couldn't save her from. It was startling & sad, but she had a good life, we were all around or close by, and so many relatives & friends came that the church luncheon ran out of food - sending me to the house to gather up some of the excess neighbors had brought over. Not so many of those siblings & in-laws left now as we've had so many funerals the last few years.

The most recent was my uncle Mike's. He was but two years older than me, we kinda grew up together, but he kept going as best he could with his brain tumors. The church had folks standing in the foyer for the services and others watching on closed circuit TV from a side room as we still had a good family turnout even tho some of the nieces & nephews couldn't travel to another one so soon, and I guess his entire ski patrol club showed up from everywhere. Different lives, different endings, just make the best as you can.

I understand your point. but question for you, if you and your family had a vacation that you wanted to take for years, you finally were able to make all the cogs fit together so you could plan it. 6 months out you found out you were terminally ill with 6 to 7 months to live. The doctor said it was okay for you to travel, would you A) still take the vacation and spend time with family, or B) cancel the vacation and spend time with family?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom