Crystal River Manatee Snorkel Trip Dec. 10, 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what details do we have so far?

What are the boat rental prices, how many per boat? We have to run around midday to get back for Christina to work late afternoon (just like the Venice beach party). We'll drive over early morning and stay till noon. Just let us know where, when and how much :wink:

scubafool:
Simon, just PM me your credit card number & expiration date, I will take it from there.
PM Sent :wink:

Due to foul weather and the inability to retain a cell signal today, I will be DRIVING to Crystal River tomorrow!
I am looking at the likelihood of renting a boat for both Saturday and Sunday. That way, we control when and where we go. If I pay for it on the 9th, I could probably get the keys if they have one available for the following morning. These are the things I'm trying to work out: How many people per boat, (divers/bubblewatchers), how early can we be under way, where will we be leaving from, what do we do with the craft during lunch, (moorage during poridge), how late can we be out if we pay for both days, what is the deposit for the craft, if self-Captained, are there any special requirements, how many craft are available for the day's rental, and a host of other questions still formulating.
I'm unable to find boat rentals on their site, and we may have to rent craft from somewhere else. Plantation Inn charges 175 for the day on weekends, but it looks like we could only get about 8 people diving comfortably. Ten would be nice as it would be about 20 bucks a day/person. This is why I want to GO to Crystal River. I need more options. The most economical bang for the buck is renting a boat for the day. I am beefing up on my nav books so I know what I'm doing if I have to scuttle, er,... CAPTAIN a ship. As long as Scubafool is chaperoned, we should be ok. Otherwise, we might end up bungeed to the dock from below. A pre-dive "mooring lines" check may need to be made.

Primary target- Crystal Lodge has 15+ boats for rent supposedly at approx. 20/hour. If we can get 10 people on one, that gives us about a ten hour day depending on availability and rental hours. I have my questions ready and will have more info tomorrow. :)

PS- Ya realize if I be the Cap'n, ye'll be swamped with me bad pirate lingo all day. Ire that or ye make we walk the plank. Hmm, best be keepin' a reg'lator betwixed my teeth. Manatee ho! No wait, tis jest yer average sea cow.

Haul up the Hinway!
Grab the Grecian Urn!

There are a couple of groups ahead of us on the list for the big boats. Here's the deal; The rental is 20/boat/hour. The big boats can handle 12 people for Sunday, and we can probably get another smaller one if needed. For SATURDAY, we will probably have to split the group onto two boats again as the smaller ones max out at 8. That would mean: two boats equals $40/hour, we need at least 16 people guaranteed to attend for Saturday to be relatively cheap.
That breaks it down to:
(9 hours @ $40/hour = $360 divided by 16 people = $22.50/person/day)
On Sunday, we can get a big boat for 12, plus another 8 on a second boat giving us up to 20 people, bringing the cost down to $18/person/day
Now we have the question,... How many people KNOW they WILL be coming and are COMMITTED to be there? If we only get 12 for Sunday, that's $15/person/day.
For Saturday, we have:

deepseawolf
marydiver
scubakevdm
cardzard (Sat only)
roxanne (sat only)
orlandoeric
eandiver + friend + wife + daughter (Sat only)
scubajenny + sis + sis' son
hermit crab
simbrooks + christina (sat 1/2 day only)
scubafool
dawn

We have our 16 for Saturday, for two boats. We also have our 12 for Sunday. Do we want to make this a two dayer, or just keep with Saturday and drop Sunday? We have a single boat for Sunday if anyone is up for both days. As for hotel accomodations, the last I'd heard, there were still rooms available at the Best Western. Even though It's only an hour drive for me, if I do two days, I'll probably be snagging a room there to enjoy the evening festivities. H and Lil B probably won't be coming so a roommate space would be available.
I need a headcount/confirmation as to which days, and if both, so I can reserve boats for Saturday as soon as possible.

Are we diving as well or just swimming?

We will be Saturday only. 4 total (2 adults, 2 kids), of which I will be the only diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom