Current water temperature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am aware of the sticky, wanted to hear real information from people currently on the island...

Although I don't personally dive every single day, I do dive at least once or twice a week (dove four days last week) and I do get the daily temps from my DM's. I would consider my information to be "real" whether it's a sticky or a daily post on this topic - this information stays virtually the same - which is why I made the effort to provide the information in a sticky so that it was easy to find.

The water temps the past two weeks have ranged from 80 to 82 F - and just so that the information is handy in this thread for those interested - from the sticky:

Q: What is the water temp in Cozumel?

The YEAR ROUND water temperature in Cozumel is consistently in the 78 - 84 range.

December - Feb: 78 - 80 +/-
March - May: 80 - 82 +/-
May - September: 82 - 84 +/- (occasionally can get in the 85/86 range...all computer variable anyway)
October - November: 80 – 82

I had 79 to 82 last week. Comfy in a 3mm, but that's me. Buddy dove in 5mm and beanie.
Was VERY happy to see the Aldora dive crew break out the big parkas after a few of those dives... and during the rains/storm!

Can I go back NOW?!? Pleeeeeeeeeeeze?

We will be diving there next Sat. (12/12) - the weather forecast on weather.com is showing rain. How accurate is the long term forecasting like this? We sail on Thursday so I guess the weekend forecast will be out by Wednesday. Will we still be able to dive if it is raining? If there forecast is 60 percent rain, will we see any sun?

And obviously the entire reason to go is to get wet! I have since read the sticky and Christi has all the info in one place (if I'd only taken the time to look - I guess since the date on it is so old, I thought it was old info).

Thanks to everyone for adding to these threads - for us new dive travelers it is really helpful!

That's a total range of 7F. Compared with the much, much larger range of temperatures here locally (surface water temperatures from 80F down to cold enough to drive a truck on), 7F is hardly any change at all - it's about 1.8% in terms of degree change.*

7f., when it's from 84+-77+, is a very big difference in diving comfort. To compare your local temps to the temps here is really irrelevent. Diving in water that is under 80f. can get really cold no matter what the percentage of difference there is. When I dive in the winter for a few days in a row, even with full wetsuit, vest and hood, my whole body will shudder from the chill while diving. In the winter it is not uncommon for people who dive many days in a row to surface early because they are cold. As I mentioned in my other post you can see the fairly extreme difference in diving apparel. As far as diving without a wetsuit...I take out divers from the Northern states that are used to really cold weather and don't wear wetsuits, but these guys are rare and usually have a lot extra body mass. A person living in New Hampshire, like yourself, is much closer to Quebec than you are the Tropics so 77-78f water may seem warm for you, but for most divers expecially women, kids and slender folks.....that water is going to seem really cold after a couple of days. People in the tropics have much thinner blood and chill much easier, but in general during the winter almost everyone wears a wetsuit. Look at the pix of Cozumel DM's during the winter.....almost all are head to toe in neoprene and wearing sweatshirts on-board. You are not doing anyone any favors by implying that thermal protection is not needed.

Starting about this time of year it is a good idea to take a sweatshirt on the boat as the winter is usually breezier (sp?) and the lower air temps can make it really chilly during your SI.

Last edited:
5mm suit it is...
That's probably the wisest choice. If you get a little warm you can always flush the suit. My goal this year is to not wear a wetsuit at all. But, I rarely dive multiple days in a row and I do bring a 3mm full with me, just in case I get cold on the first dive (no wetsuit all year may be a goal, but I'm not willing to shiver my behind off or be uncomfortable to accomplish it:wink:).

I'm one of those slender females who chills easily but has no desire to end dives early. I wear a 5mm full suit with 3mm hooded vest and am nice and toasty. Can dive many days in a row very comfortably. One DM I know wears a 7mm suit. But then when I'm done for the day he carries on with instruction and sometimes night dives. I'd be in a 7mm too!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom