Dan Grenier lost at sea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whitedragon13:
I need to get information to someone over there involved. I may be able to help and can't seem to get anyone to PM me.

Obviously, time is of the essence. George/Chicoval, or someone on-scene, please get in touch with me as soon as possible. I'm in a conference and I can't check email very often.

If you go back to posts #9 and #10 in this thread you'll find some phone numbers for people to call who want to help.

Hope this helps.

I'm in Thailand at a conference and don't have a phone. If I give you the information, can you call someone and pass it on? I don't want to wait any longer than necessary-time is obviously a factor, hypothermia, etc.

Can you/will you help?

aaaaaaaagh...will someone please call Bamboo divers and give them the following information? I'm in thailand without a phone and can't make the call myself. Post 10 of this thread has the US phone number.

They need to call 011 679 672 5777 - Ext. 4801, which is the Rescue Coordination Center for the region. If that fails to get results, the head of our local RCC says to try this:
Our duty controller number is 449-4063.

The area code will be (808)

Someone PLEASE pass this information out to George at the dive shop immediately.

whitedragon13:
aaaaaaaagh...will someone please call Bamboo divers and give them the following information? I'm in thailand without a phone and can't make the call myself. Post 10 of this thread has the US phone number.

They need to call 011 679 672 5777 - Ext. 4801, which is the Rescue Coordination Center for the region. If that fails to get results, the head of our local RCC says to try this:
Our duty controller number is 449-4063.

The area code will be (808)

Someone PLEASE pass this information out to George at the dive shop immediately.

I called and left your message on their answering machine.

Hope it helps.

Doc/Fishee-

Thank you for passing on the information!
I received an email from my rescue coordination center (RCC). He said he spoke personally with Linda at Bamboo Reef and put her in touch with the right people. He stated that the Nandi (Fiji) RCC and Australian Coast Guard are involved and that Linda would be contacting the USCG for additional help. The benefit to the USCG, is that they have access to the DoD for assistance.

All we can do now is hope/pray.

-Mic

mderousse:
I just recieved a disturbing phone call from a mutual friend of Dan Grenier Crystal Divers Fiji. Dan and his childrens' 20 year old nanny were diving with a group of four from the Bamboo Reef Resort. Dan and the nanny did a drift dive while the others dove the reef. The idea was the boat captain, his wife Alisi, would pick them up on the other side of the reef. They haven't been seen since. the bottom has been thoroughly searched, and air search is continuing now, but it has been over 50 hours. Hoping for a happy ending.
good luck to them,hope that nothing bad happened :11:

We have been good friends of Dan and Alesi for 10 years and have been following the search effort as closely as possible from Iowa. We have also been contacting every conceivable media resource we can think of to keep this search going---CNN, FOX News, NPR, DAN, Undercurrent, and have even attempted to get help from the US Navy Base in Hawaii. We also know that Dan provided some technical support to the crew filming "Castaway" and have contacted the Screenwriter's Guild to see if anyone can help us locate crew from this film that might be interested in helping. So far, no response from any of the above. Anyone who knows Dan Knows he would not give up on a fellow diver and my husband and I refuse to give up on Dan and Danielle. Ironically, it was almost exactly one year ago that Dan saved my life when my husband's equipment failed, causing a rapid accent due to a strong, upwelling current. I had Type II bends and if it hadn't been for Dan's cool thinking in this situation I very well could have died. Please, if anyone can think of any other avenue to pursue or has any connections with media, the "Castaway" crew, anything, please let us know. We will be more than happy to do the leg work of contacting people, but we need your help. Bula...Russ and Chris England

My RCC said there's still a chance, since the water is warm. I'm out of touch with them now, so I have no idea if the USCG got involved or not. Anyone?

whitedragon13:
My RCC said there's still a chance, since the water is warm. I'm out of touch with them now, so I have no idea if the USCG got involved or not. Anyone?
If Dan or Danielle are castaways on some island without shelter water and food-everey second wasted is killing them.we need people to step up to the the plate and help our fellow divers when they are in distress.For those of you who didn't know Dan,,he is among the finest of the elite divers-and has incredible survival skills, persistance,calmness, courage and is at home in the water.He's been diving since Viet Nam when he was in the marines and can put up with terrible conditions-if anyone could survive this ordeal it woud be Dan. He has put his life on the line for his country without flinching,and everyday in his dive operation his main concern is to protect the lives of the divers on his boat.If you were lost-YOU would want Dan looking for you because,he wouldn't give up and wouldnt waste idle time on retro-speculation.If anyone has any time to commit to keep this search alive-contact me by email or post on this site.We need people who know people in power-who can make things happen-we need $ for airplane searches(1000/4hrs),$for boat searches ,$ to pay for groundwork and support of the search team,and if any one can talk the USMC or US Navy to help find one of thier own,or the castawaysfilm crew (Dan really helped them alot-in return he was given a double of "Wilson-the soccer ball",and the paddles Tom Hanks used to finally paddle off the Island )or to try and get more news coverage/interest(who knows-a Larry king show could possibly happen) -anything to raise money for the search.So far there has been no shred of dive suit or equipment or body part found and there are a lot of uninhabited islands out there where the current flows by and Dan knows the area very well and is very fit and a good swimmer-I think its way too early to stop searching and he may be alive-I know he'd still be looking for me.This kind of situation doesn't happen very often-all of you out there could help and make a difference and possibly save their lives.If we all united we could become a powerful lifesaving force.Linda has asked me to spearhead this aspect of the search on behalf of Dan and his family.Contact me if you can help in any way or have any bright ideas or contacts.I'll be posting a account# for donations later when I get it.Thankyou everyone-We're coming Dan and Danielle.....Bula......RussEngland.....saildivers@hotmail.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom