Dan Grenier lost at sea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wpscortland:
What is an SMB? What is an EPRIB? Thank you.
Prayers for them. I hope theyare found.
SMB = Surface Marker Buoy
EPIRB = Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon

My hopes and prayers also go out to the family and friends of the two missing divers. May we be witness to an increadible rescue.

Christian

headhunter:
SMB = Surface Marker Buoy
EPIRB = Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon

My hopes and prayers also go out to the family and friends of the two missing divers. May we be witness to an increadible rescue.

Christian
Thanks for the prayers and good wishes,but we sure could use some more active help as well in keeping this search alive,and this is no negativity towards you Headhunter.I just wanted to remind people that any thing that they can do to to help is needed now-and could provide the breakthrough we need.contact us if you can spare come time to make some calls,write emails, or if you know some one in the south Pacific with a plane or boat that could help in the search-and last but not least,a donation would help alot.Hope I don't come ome on to strong here-but Dans a best friend. But I'm also a doctor, who in this case,knows what can cure the patient,but can't get the medicine to him for lack of funds,transportation,and a lack of information by some of his friends and acquaintences-who would help in a heartbeat if they only knew of the dire situation.Its frustrating!Thank God for this website.thanks Headhunter-I'm going to go pray again before I try Calling the US Marine Corp again(Dan was a vet).Amen

Saildiver-

The biggest help is contacting the coast guard. I'm not sure if they got involved or not. If they have, they'll have access to USAF, USMC, and USN SAR assets in the area.

This is so eerie. Just before logging on to SB, I finished writing up a brochure to advertise a trip next March to Bamboo Beach Resort. A natural selling point was to name-drop Dan Grenier as the diving ops manager.

I didn't know Dan, have never been to Fiji, but have read so much, here and in Undercurrents/Travelin' Divers Chapbook, of the high regard in which he was held, it makes my heart hurt.

I've inwardly scoffed at some of the content-free messages that often clutter the threads here at SB. "If you have nothing useful to add, why not just keep quiet."

Well, now I'm doing it. Now I understand.

--Eric Ressner, St Louis

Hello all.

My name is Stephen, I am Danielle Gibbons brother in-law. She is the other diver missing with Dan Greiner.

We are trying to find a specific location. If the following description rings any bells for anyone, please contact me directly. We have not give up hope for their safe return but time is our enemy.

I am trying to find a specific location in Fiji with these characteristics. I know the info is obscure but we are trying to use it to locate Dan Greiner and Danielle Gibbons, two divers who went missing in Fijian waters last week.

A small uninhabited island, possibly in the Bligh Waters up towards the Yasawa Island group. The island is quite flat with dense vegetation and coconut trees. The beaches of the island are covered in high tides.

The island has a well-known but not often visited tidal-coral reef point which is a breeding ground for tiger or bull sharks.
Sea turtles nest at this island and there is a sea-bird colony on it.

The island may be in a loose group of 2-3 islands with a passage in between them used occasionally by the locals in their journeys.

Please email me directly if this rings any bells for anyone. You can also call me in Australia on +61 2 9665 5867. Time is critical.

with thanks
Stephen M

saildiver:
Thanks for the prayers and good wishes,but we sure could use some more active help as well in keeping this search alive,and this is no negativity towards you Headhunter.I just wanted to remind people that any thing that they can do to to help is needed now-and could provide the breakthrough we need.contact us if you can spare come time to make some calls,write emails, or if you know some one in the south Pacific with a plane or boat that could help in the search-and last but not least,a donation would help alot.Hope I don't come ome on to strong here-but Dans a best friend. But I'm also a doctor, who in this case,knows what can cure the patient,but can't get the medicine to him for lack of funds,transportation,and a lack of information by some of his friends and acquaintences-who would help in a heartbeat if they only knew of the dire situation.Its frustrating!Thank God for this website.thanks Headhunter-I'm going to go pray again before I try Calling the US Marine Corp again(Dan was a vet).Amen

Bump.

Which State is Dan Grenier from?

With all due respect, the US military does not tend to respond suddenly when phoned by citizens, either individually or in groups of a half dozen or so.

On the other hand, when a staffer from a Congressman's (Congresswoman's)office calls, senior officers generally want to be alerted to this fact right away. If the Congressman gets annoyed they tend to call even more senior officers, who then wonder why the Congressman couldn't find a solution earlier.

A call to a Congressional representative with an urgent request that they request logistical assistance from the military might be useful. I am in the process of trying to arrange such a phonecall. I'm informed that it would likely be of greatest benefit if the Congressman who called was from Dan Grenier's State - hence the request: which State is Dan Grenier from?

OTOH, calls to the military from several Congressional staffers couldn't hurt, so to those of you who would like to assist, one of the things you could do would be to contact your own Congressional representatives and request that they contact the military to request SAR assistance.. Uh, ...its an election year.

With hopes for a positive outcome,

Doc

Dan is originally from Chicago, Illinois, and proud of it.

Back
Top Bottom