Dear Dork Divers Advice Column – Ask us your questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanna be a dork diver.... can I, can I, huh, huh, huh? :D :wink:

But is it ok if my snorkel is pink, and the rest of my gear is blue/black?

Dear Dork Divers,

I dive with a Zeagle Ranger, and while close, it is no BPW. I have made several dives and am starting to get frustrated, when am I going to die! I am a busy man and don't have time to waste doing countless dives enjoying myself waiting for the inevitable to happen. Should I go back to my old wraparound BC to hasten my demise? How long does it usually take, what gives?

Sincerely,

3D (Dork Diver Disciple)

Dear Dork Divers,
There seems to be a common thread that people think DD's are against safety and DIR...I didn't think DD's were anti-anything so long as you're having fun doing it and not putting somebody else down? Was I wrong?

Thanks,
Dan

My buddy (wife) and I are newly certified divers. It appears we have made some tragic mistakes.

1)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]We (somehow) survived our checkout dives as well as the dives we’ve done since being certified without really caring about “SAC rate”.
2)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]We bring our (color coordinated) snorkels with us on every dive.
3)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]We seem to be having something called “fun” on our dives. Now, I haven’t seen this topic covered yet, and I’m highly concerned that we may not be having the right kind of “fun” or that we may be experiencing the “fun” incorrectly.

Any help and/or advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated…

erparamedic:
I wanna be a dork diver.... can I, can I, huh, huh, huh? :D :wink:

But is it ok if my snorkel is pink, and the rest of my gear is blue/black?

Pink snorkel! SWWWeeeeettt!!!!:14:

Dear Dork Divers...

i have a problem with my edit: mask constantly flooding while diving

i have figured out the problem is that i laugh or smile too much while diving, what can i do about this??

thanks

grassyknoll:
Dear Dork Divers,

I dive with a Zeagle Ranger, and while close, it is no BPW. I have made several dives and am starting to get frustrated, when am I going to die! I am a busy man and don't have time to waste doing countless dives enjoying myself waiting for the inevitable to happen. Should I go back to my old wraparound BC to hasten my demise? How long does it usually take, what gives?

Sincerely,

3D (Dork Diver Disciple)

It's all up to you... if anticipation is yer' thing... we're all for it! Rock on... (they say the best things in life ARE worth waiting for...):rofl3:

paradicio:
My buddy (wife) and I are newly certified divers. It appears we have made some tragic mistakes.

1)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]We (somehow) survived our checkout dives as well as the dives we’ve done since being certified without really caring about “SAC rate”.
2)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]We bring our (color coordinated) snorkels with us on every dive.
3)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]We seem to be having something called “fun” on our dives. Now, I haven’t seen this topic covered yet, and I’m highly concerned that we may not be having the right kind of “fun” or that we may be experiencing the “fun” incorrectly.

Any help and/or advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated…

Well... as we've resolved in the "Dork Diver's Manifesto" list... if ya' pay attention to your SAC rate... that's cool... it *can* come in useful sometimes... particularly for dive planning or figuring out how much beer to bring to the party (Surface Alcohol Consumption Rate)... we just don't view it as a principle topic of conversation in social company... per se.

As for the rest of it... sounds like yer' natural born Dorks to me... got that *fun* thing wired down in OW, eh??? Swwwweeeeetttttt.....

almitywife:
Dear Dork Divers...

i have a problem with my must constantly flooding while diving

i have figured out the problem is that i laugh or smile too much while diving, what can i do about this??

thanks

Hmmm, this is a tough one, Almity. If your mask is flooding due to smiling and laughing, I'd say that you're having a ton of fun! The only way to correct that is to stop having fun. However, if you stop having fun, you will no longer be a DORK diver... thus, I suggest you just let the mask flood and have fun! Look at it this way... you'll be an expert mask clearer! :D

almitywife:
Dear Dork Divers...

i have a problem with my must constantly flooding while diving

thanks

Yer WHAT is flooding??? Sheesh... I don't think we covered this... we'll probably have to go back into the back room and ponder this... :rofl3: :rofl3:

As to the laughing and smiling too much... wow... I really didn't thing that was possible... BUT... (and we got solutions to darned near everything... some of em' even useful...)... IF YOU MUST reduce the S&L quotent of your diving activities... give a thought occasionally to all those poor sods who take this all too seriously... or... WORSE... think about all those who have never dove to date... and may NEVER dive unless brought to the briney by a true and caring friend... that should bring a tear to yer' eye...

J.R.
DD - #... ummmm.... something....

Back
Top Bottom