Death Sunday at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As we learned in rescue class, only report what you personally witnessed. I was there and heard a lot of information which I will not share as it was hearsay and cannot be confirmed, but it was similar to what crosshairs described.

I will share the one piece of info I did personally witness: the kit which was carried to and placed in the ambulance was a rebreather. It had a soft black covering with a single horizontal blue tank on the back.

I cannot say with absolute certainty that it was his, but I think it is a safe assumption.

The gear had no markings, brand name, or otherwise on it.

As we learned in rescue class, only report what you personally witnessed. I was there and heard a lot of information which I will not share as it was hearsay and cannot be confirmed, but it was similar to what crosshairs described.

I will share the one piece of info I did personally witness: the kit which was carried to and placed in the ambulance was a rebreather. It had a soft black covering with a single horizontal blue tank on the back.

Actually by confirming the hearsay that was previously mentioned you are infact adding credence to the hearsay that you wanted to distance yourself from. Just saying.

It is indeed tragic to lose a fellow diver and being a witness to those tragic events can be really hard.

As someone who has witnessed two prior resuscitations at Dutch Springs I can safely that I was very impressed at the amazingly professional way in which they were handled.

I am quite certain that everyone involved in this attempt did their levelheaded best.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

It is indeed tragic to lose a fellow diver and being a witness to those tragic events can be really hard.

As someone who has witnessed two prior resuscitations at Dutch Springs I can safely that I was very impressed at the amazingly professional way in which they were handled.

I am quite certain that everyone involved in this attempt did their levelheaded best.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Been there, done that a year ago last May. Different quarry, but same situation. One thing you can count on, before a fellow diver is ever lost, everything that could humanly be done to prevent it was done. By some of the most well trained, dedicated group of individuals you would ever see anywhere. I always try to make a point of this to my loved ones.

Hey Tim,

Tell your buddy he did an amazing job. I was on a surface interval, out of my gear, so I watched the whole thing go down. He, and the staff at Dutch, and several volunteers, did absolutely everything they could. It was terrible and sad. But the diver had the best possible care anyone could get. And your buddy did a fantastic job. I tried to find him afterwards to tell him that, but I couldn't find him. As for what happened, I think we should all wait for the official report. There were way too many rumors and hear say and Monday morning quarterbacking going on (which is natural). I looked at the coroner's report this morning and they're waiting on toxicology reports.

I cannot say with absolute certainty that it was his, but I think it is a safe assumption.

The gear had no markings, brand name, or otherwise on it.

Are you sure what you saw being carried and placed in the ambulance was a rebreather and not an AED ?

This seems to fit the description. I didn't find any AEDs with blue tanks attached.

Dolphin.jpg

My usual buddy was one of the rescuers. He called me on his drive home to talk about this, didn't go into many details as he was really pretty upset that he couldn't save the man's life.

He's really bummed to hear the outcome.

My condolences to the family and all who were involved.

As others have said, he need only feel proud for having made the attempt.

We reviewed the techniques for rescue of an unresponsive diver from depth in a paper published in UHM late last year. It can be downloaded from a link on this page:

UHMS #39 Paper on Unconscious Diver Recovery

One of the points we are at great pains to make in this paper is that even a textbook perfect rescue / resuscitation is likely to result in a poor outcome, unfortunately.

Simon Mitchell on behalf of the UHMS Diving Committee

Are you sure what you saw being carried and placed in the ambulance was a rebreather and not an AED ?

Yes. It was not an AED.

My wife and I were there when this accident happened. Crosshairs description of how this unfolded is accurate. Condolences to the family, this is always terrible to hear when it happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom