December 5th Molokini backwall dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There are currently 4 of us who are interested in doing a backwall dive on December 5th (Monday) Is anyone else travelling (or living) here that would like to join us? If we can find enough we may just fill a 6-pack and have the boat to ourselves.

Also any recommendations of ops that would(conditions permitting) do the backwall on request, or ones we could charter ourselves? I saw Shaka Doug's recommendation awhile back about Dive and Sea Maui, so that's one possibility, any others?

Aloha, Tim

We did Ed Robibsons. Good deal but they were real evasive about doing the wall for two dives. Tried to do another first despite most peoples request that we do the wall twice. The current made the first choice undivable so we got to do the first two dives on the wall. I would have done five on the wall had I been allowed. That and the DM we had was kinda cranky....We were, on the other hand the only people there that wern't return divers. I guess that says a lot.

Wildcard:
We did Ed Robibsons. Good deal but they were real evasive about doing the wall for two dives. Tried to do another first despite most peoples request that we do the wall twice. The current made the first choice undivable so we got to do the first two dives on the wall. I would have done five on the wall had I been allowed. That and the DM we had was kinda cranky....We were, on the other hand the only people there that wern't return divers. I guess that says a lot.
Funny, we did the backwall twice on ERDA without it even being scheduled that way!

B & B Scuba will do a requested backwall dive for a group IF conditions allow. I wouldn't trust any operation that would guarantee such a dive.

KrisB:
Funny, we did the backwall twice on ERDA without it even being scheduled that way!
Same here. I just got on the Molokini boat and that's where we went...

Roak

I've done the backwall on two different trips with ERD... however last November, even though conditions looked fine, a decision was made by the skipper without even consulting the divers, that we would do reef's end instead.

Uncle Pug:
, even though conditions looked fine, a decision was made by the skipper without even consulting the divers, that we would do reef's end instead.
If I were a Captain looking at the sheet with info on that day's divers and saw that several of them had very little experience, then I'd be very reluctant to do a live drop in deep water. Reef's End has the advantage of a hard bottom of reasonable depth, and on most days the current will pull you around to the backside for a nice drift.

Tim: ProDiver Maui has a really nice six pack boat -- a Delta 34 IIRC. If you get a full boat, they should be willing to let you pick the spots. Unfortunately, I'll be spending Christmas in California with the 3 grandkids and will only be in Maui January through March, so I won't be able to make the Dec 5 trip.

Back
Top Bottom