DECO the Dark site in recreational Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

, there are plans for a 50m, to be combined with a deep dive course, still I know the deep dive certification allows 42m if I'm not mistaken.

A "deep diver" course which includes a dive with a planned depth of 50m? So, you're OK taking a course with an instructor who is willing to blatantly violate standards? Max depth for PADI on deep diver course is 30m, and I'm going out on a limb by assuming that other agencies are the same.

Perhaps you can share the name of the instructor here... or with their agency.

Why would PADI's deep diver course, which supposedly allows successful graduates "to scuba dive with confidence at depths down to 40 metres/130 feet," be limited to 30m?

A "deep diver" course which includes a dive with a planned depth of 50m? So, you're OK taking a course with an instructor who is willing to blatantly violate standards? Max depth for PADI on deep diver course is 30m, and I'm going out on a limb by assuming that other agencies are the same.

Perhaps you can share the name of the instructor here... or with their agency.

I didn't choose to be certified PADI, dive tables for air go to 42m ( US Navy Standard air decompression table ) I believe Most agencies/shools use the same, you can stay 15min on BT and only need 2 min DECO stop at 5m, put 4min as extra safety, and keep an ascend rate in check, if you make good use of air you should come up with enough air, but that is IF everything is nice and smooth, if Sh... hit the fan you are in trouble.

50m dive, full square, less than 8min BT is the profile from that dive and you come up with enough air, that is the profile choosen and minimum 4 divers, not saying it will happen, it had been done many times this way, but everybody is more afraid that one get deep in to narcosis than run out of air.

I didn't choose to be certified PADI, dive tables for air go to 42m ( US Navy Standard air decompression table ) I believe Most agencies/shools use the same, you can stay 15min on BT and only need 2 min DECO stop at 5m, put 4min as extra safety, and keep an ascend rate in check, if you make good use of air you should come up with enough air, but that is IF everything is nice and smooth, if Sh... hit the fan you are in trouble.

50m dive, full square, less than 8min BT is the profile from that dive and you come up with enough air, that is the profile choosen and minimum 4 divers, not saying it will happen, it had been done many times this way, but everybody is more afraid that one get deep in to narcosis than run out of air.

I get 14mins of deco for that profile (42m for 15) with buhlmann 20/85 and 31mins with VPM(+2).

I wouldn't sign up for 2 mins of deco after a dive like that.

Reactions: RJP
Not to stray too far from the scope of Basic Scuba, but I wonder if this kind of 'I'll just try deco lite' dabbling at the edges isn't more dangerous than a similarly inexperienced diver just saying "For my next real dive, I'm going to a wreck at 190' on air for half an hour...what do I need to bring and know how to do in order to satisfy myself I'll be able to get back to the surface OK?"

At least in that scenario, the diver's under no illusions that what they have been taught in OW/AOW is going to be sufficient and they should undertake a pretty extensive knowlege investigation and skills experimentation/practice dives (or, you know, a tech class...) before actually dropping in for the deco dive.

Reactions: RJP
I get 14mins of deco for that profile (42m for 15) with buhlmann 20/85 and 31mins with VPM(+2).

I wouldn't sign up for 2 mins of deco after a dive like that.

Check the table, remember you need to count the ascent rate, there restrictions on that more that what your time of DECO

And I'm 100% sure the Navy and other persons that have made public their DECO times have a a safety factor build in, with that said you don't want to pass what the reflected in table you use because you don't know what the safety factor is, is like the DC programs manufactures use different calculations one more conservative than others.

Every body have different perspectives as well, many of you find it unsafe and dangerus more that I see it, yes it is dangerus yes it is unsafe, but if it has been done taken in account many factors and the What IF's situations had been covered, you understand the plan, I don't see why It can't be done

But if you are afraid Stop, don't do it the mind is not set, and even if the conditions are right you make it unsafe.

And I'm 100% sure the Navy and other persons that have made public their DECO times have a a safety factor build in...

What makes you think the US Navy tables--designed to give a bunch of fit, 18 year-olds an acceptable but non-zero chance of taking a DCS hit--are in any way conservative as compared to more modern deco models built for use by a broader (in every sense of the word) swath of the population?

Back
Top Bottom