Deco time needed for diving the Titanic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Such immense pressures it boggles the mind.

The pressure on Venus is around 90 atmospheres which is the highest pressure in our solar system. This is similar to being roughly 1km down in our oceans, the titanic sits at 3.6km..

Mike

the pressure at the phase transition region of jupiters atmosphere is about 2 millions bar, at jupiters core it is belived to be close to 45 million bars, which I suspect pales in comparison to the pressures you could encounter in the transition from the suns radioactive core to the tachocline.

Surface pressure sorry :wink:

Mike

---------- Post added November 7th, 2014 at 10:02 PM ----------

There's always one lol

Mike

The guys of no-limits apnea descend with a sled at about 5m/sec. It would take about 12 minutes to reach the wreck using that method.

So we can get down in time, we just need to sort out the air problem, and the pressure problem and we are sorted

Mike

is it possible for the titanic to be pulled out of the ocean ? or dragged to a part of the ocean with a shallower depth ?...

Possible, yes. Cost effective, no. I probably would have said no on both counts 30 years ago but not today.

---------- Post added November 7th, 2014 at 02:20 PM ----------

So we can get down in time, we just need to sort out the air problem, and the pressure problem and we are sorted…

Don’t forget the hypothermia and navigation problems. A drysuit won’t be adequate with such high (thermally conductive) gas densities.

Don’t forget the hypothermia and navigation problems. A drysuit won’t be adequate with such high (thermally conductive) gas densities.

You could place the shotline for the sled using a submersible. An elite apneaist wouldn't need much gas or thermal insulation to survive 10 minutes until reaching the wreck either.

Now we only need a volunteer. Lets call the project "Titanic One" :D

What is the obsession with going stupid deep on scuba??

This dive is in comparison to flying to the moon in a g6 small aircraft

Mike

One man's stupid deep is another man's expedition. If I had a quid from everybody who said, "I don't know why you want to dive that deep - there's nothing to see beyond thirty metres" I'd be a rich man. The reality of it is there is loads under the sea that is unexplored, but all the pretty stuff tends to be shallow. I love wreck diving, and the more historically significant and the least explored (and therefore not having all its brass nailed to the wall of some BSAC club :wink:) the better.

Generally the sort of wrecks that attract keen wreck divers are deeper, hence the desire to be able to dive deeper. I still subscribe to rule 3 of DIR diving though (nothing underwater is worth dying for).

Diving the Titanic would be ridiculously impossible, however, if she'd been found in 30m of water, people would be travelling from all over.

There are still plenty of knobbers that seem to want to go deep just for the sake of it though.

Being an accomplished wreck diver do you ever feel a lure of the deep, like an urge to go deeper just for the sake of it..
Or diving an especially deep wreck and getting a buzz just because of the depth

Mike

Being an accomplished wreck diver do you ever feel a lure of the deep, like an urge to go deeper just for the sake of it..
Or diving an especially deep wreck and getting a buzz just because of the depth

I think that happens to some people at first, but it goes away pretty quickly.

A couple of years ago I was doing a prolonged deco stop after a moderately deep wreck dive (270 feet), and my buddy started writing on a slate. What he wrote was the shorthand version of "This is the limit. This is as much deco as I ever want to do just to see a wreck."

I am by no means a big time deep diver. My deepest is only a little over 300 feet, and I haven't done it all that often. It did take me a lot of training and a lot of dives in the shallower range to get the certification to do that. Perhaps as a consequence depth is not really important at all. Once you reach the mental attitude of my buddy when he wrote that message to me, you will be about as happy viewing a really nice wreck at 150 feet as a at 300 feet. Now, if it is something of historic value, that is different. If I had the money and means to dive the Britannic, I would be all over that, and I would happily do every minute of the required deco.

is it possible for the titanic to be pulled out of the ocean ? or dragged to a part of the ocean with a shallower depth ? realize it's not realistic just wanted to ask an annoying question

The wreck is in two pieces right now.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0412/feature5/images/mp_full.5.jpg
And a bunch of scattered debris.
Not annoying.
Anyone not enjoying this hypothetical conversation is too serious for the room.
but I think this "Scuba Diving Buddy Team" might be up to the challenge.
divesuit.jpg Photo by JordynWest | Photobucket

Chug
naysayer

Back
Top Bottom