Deco time needed for diving the Titanic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just ran it on V-planner for giggles. Using 0.5% Oxygen 99.5% Helium for a bottom gas (still a pretty high PO2 of 1.82 at the bottom) and having 20 deco mixes in 5% increments of oxygen for the ascent. You would use a total of 1,310,924 cubic feet of gas, spend 310 hours (about 13 days) coming up and be at 64 times the recomended limit CNS oxygen exposure. And that is if you only spend 60 seconds on the Titanic.

So, about 11000 steel 120s. That is if they can support the pressure.

If you could get to the titanic and brung something back, like a bell or a bottle would it be worth a fortune??

Mike

You would be so pissed when they made you take it back down. It's a protected site.:confused:

... And if its not possible what the deepest someone could go?

If anyone answered this part of the question, I didn't see it. The current world's record for scuba diving depth is 1,090 feet (332.35 meters), set by Ahmed Gabr on September 18, 2014. It took him 12 minutes to descend and 15 hours to ascend. At this depth helium is a neurotoxin, making it highly problematic to go deeper. Someone will go a few feet deeper, just because. But not by much.

I have no interest in deep scuba. I'm a shallow, warm-water recreational diver. But I'd love to go down in a bathyscaphe. In 1960 the Trieste reached a depth of 35,798 feet, the deepest known spot on the ocean's floor.

They'd never find me, I'd be dead as a dodo

Mike

Interesting that bird comes up in this thread.

Bob

---------- Post added November 16th, 2014 at 06:30 PM ----------

But I'd love to go down in a bathyscaphe. In 1960 the Trieste reached a depth of 35,798 feet, the deepest known spot on the ocean's floor.

As I remember, the Trieste sphere was used in the Trieste II which is on display at the Naval Undersea Museum at Keyport Wa., a very interesting place to spend a day.

Bob

They'd never find me, I'd be dead as a dodo

Mike

would that be on the way up or down? Me I cannot pee under pressure and I always need to pee haha. I could just see Mike coming back up with a bottle and CSBA telling you to take it back lol, bot guys just did 3000 bottles haha

---------- Post added November 17th, 2014 at 12:53 AM ----------

funny this, i have never been below 130

Hmmm. So, a couple of weeks of deco in a dry suit suggests another fatality scenario: You'd be in danger of filling up the dry suit and drowning in your own pee. Yuck!!! Even just 15 hours of deco from 330-odd meters, I'm thinking your feet would be wet. But I've never dived dry. Maybe those suits have a special compartment for that?

Most submarines will get crushed at that depth. Titanic is not only beyond diving it is on the far edges of submarine technology. A better dive would be Empress of Ireland which is Canada's Titanic. It can be done with recreational training and drysuit experience. A heart breaking tragedy and a challenging wreck to dive.

I've never dived dry. Maybe those suits have a special compartment for that?
They don't, but some have a special tubing arrangement. It's called a P-valve. The alternative is adult diapers. Or to get up from the water and out of the suit in time. Sometimes that's really, really just in time...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom