Deep Dives 300ft to whatever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Primary objective?

That is probably a question that will be hard to answer here on this board, and the answer may not be understood or popular.

The objective is to personaly challange myself.

diving to these depths is not something i recommend to anybody and that is not the entent here. the entent is to communicate with others who do the same dives.

deep diving is something i take seriously, and i move slowly through the water collum increasing my depth at a very slow pace over many dives.

well that ought to be enought to chew on for now

but in a different dimension... rather than increasing depth... I am working on increasing meaningful time at depth... ie accomplishing an object other than attaining the depth.

Before I would be looking at the depths you are talking about I would definitely have to have an objective worth the logistical effort.

A while back, here near where I live... at a dive site that we do quite often... a fellow died on a 300' dive... there were many factors involved... not the least of which was no support team. Compounding the tragedy was the sense that the dive itself was meaningless... no real objective other than to bounce down to 300'. You know the old saying, "There is nothing down there worth dying for." .... well in this case that was so literally true that it is painful.... nothing but mud.

This is not a judgement on what you are doing... just an observation... and I really don't want to hear of your demise... I really don't.

As you say, I am still here.... keeping it real.
And I am still your friend.

fair enough Uncle Pug.

I was only discussing one aspect of the diving i enjoy.
I was rescently in Chuuk doing 220 foot dives with bottom time of 60 minutes. i personaly feel the main reason for excelerated decompression is to extend our bottom times shallow or deep.

I recently purchased a reabreather just so i coulod extend my dive times on shallow dives.

diving i love is deep, wreck, and caves. all other types of diving is fun but the above is my passion..

I was discussing only one small part of the diving i enjoy.

PUG
i quite enjoy a good conversation with you!!

I Purchased an Insperation

I will start with shallow dives. I have done some course work etc. as much as I can without acualy diving it.

so far what i have learned is that its like a skier learning to snowbaord. same enviroment two different things entirely.

I will move slowly, I have sat through the Trimix classroom course and I have several friends doing dives as deep as 525' and deeper.

so I am hoping to learn from the best, and progress slowly.

A co-worker asked me how deep a person can dive without a special suit before the pressure crushes them. He had been discussing this with another co-worker and thought it was probably 300 feet or so. I told him that wasn't correct but I have no experience to address the question.

CAN you crush a person underwater? Liquid doesn't compress and we are mostly liquid, that much I do understand. Pressure can kill but at what depth? I'd like to give the guy an answer if possible. Thanks for letting me butt in!
Ber :bunny:

Ber Rabbit once bubbled...
A co-worker asked me how deep a person can dive without a special suit before the pressure crushes them.

The world deep diving record was set last year by John Bennett. He, in a drysuit, went to 1011 feet with something like 9 hours of decompression. At the bottom, because of the fact that there was over 31 ATM of pressure on him, he would have been going through an AL 80 in around 4 minutes.

The only way we could crush is if the air pressure on the inside was less than the water pressure on the outside. This is why regulators supply air at ambient pressure, not 1 atm. So, crushing is really not the issue...it is a function of our bodies ability to deal with the gas in our system under high pressure and also a technological issue -- making regulators that work that deep. Submarines can crush because the inside of the ship is at approximately 1 atmosphere of pressure. That is also why they do not need decompression time.

Bennet's record was for a open circuit bounce.

Saturation divers using rebreathers or hard hat gear have been diving much deeper than this for a long time.

omar

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom