Deer Creek/Staircase - a Malibu Dive Adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Penny and I set out yesterday to fully explore 2 sites I have never dove, Deer Creek and Staircase. When I heard the lifeguard for Malibu was "flat", I knew this was a good day to try it.

The essential statistics:
Deer Creek: 38ft max depth, 68 minutes, 63 degrees, 23ft ave depth, 20-30ft vis
Staircase: 43ft max depth, 85 minutes, 57 degrees, 21ft ave depth, 15-25ft vis
Gorgonian City: 38ft max depth, 59 minutes, 59 degrees, 29ft ave depth, 10-15ft vis

First dive: Deer Creek. We dropped into 6ft of water, and the reef started immediately. We immediately spotted a spotted kelpfish (no pun intented), who darted under some red kelp. A good sign. We then saw a large lobster in the eel grass.

This is a very large dive site, with lots of rocks, structure, and kelp. Its quite shallow for a while, and the kelp is between 10 and 24ft depth. Rocky reef continues to 38ft, then peters out. We explore to the right of the staircase (west), which looked like it had better promise.

Parking is easy, access is simple, and entry is easy and sandy. Due to the shallow depths and exposure, I would not dive this site unless conditions were extremely flat. The kelp is nice.

As we moved into the kelp, sheep crabs appeared everywhere. We saw about a dozen large ones.

Deer1+020.jpg

Harbor Seal. This seal kept spying on us for about 10 minutes.

Deer1+027.jpg

Maybe a CO-SOle

Deer1+033.jpg

Kelp Rockfish

Deer1+037.jpg

Free-swimming spanish shawl, we were surprised to see him! This was on the way to the rocky reefs (no kelp out here).

at the rocky reefs, gorgonians and tube anemones started appearing. And lots of urchins!

Deer1+054.jpg

scorpionfish

Deer1+058.jpg

Guitarfish. We saw a couple guitarfish on this dive.

Deer1+065.jpg

Rubberlip Perch

----------------------------------------

The second dive was at staircase, just north of Leo Carillo. Parking was $6. Access was a decent hike down a gently-sloping trail (switchbacks). Entry was sandy and easy. This reef is very large and has lots of kelp and structure. kelp is from 15ft - 26ft. we followed a rocky reef out to at least 43ft, and it may have kept going even further. We saw a harbor seal here also, a couple of huge Bat Rays in the sand, and a couple guitarfish. The kelp here was tall and beautiful. We liked deer creek and staircase equally well.

As soon as we dropped down, a school of yellowfin croakers swam by us, what a nice start!

There is lots of beautiful eel grass in the shallow area of this site.

Again, here we dove to the right (west). There also seemed to be a reef to the east.

Even though waves were tiny, there was still decent surge at both dive sites, to our dismay.

Deer1+091.jpg

Peering through the kelp forest

Deer1+098.jpg

The sun bursts through the kelp

Deer1+113.jpg

Black-n-yellow Rockfish. We found a family of 6 black-n-yellows together, how nice!

Deer1+116.jpg

Limacia Cockerelli Nudibranch, very tiny! We also saw lemon nudibranchs, a san diego dorid, and many Doriopsilla Albopunctata.

Deer1+123.jpg

Blacksmith

Deer1+127.jpg

School of Rubberlip Perch

Deer1+150.jpg

A giant kelpfish winds its way through the kelp

Deer1+160.jpg

A baby spotted or crevice kelpfish comes out of its hole

Deer1+165.jpg

Unidentified Nudibranch

Deer1+170.jpg

Giant Kelpfish, moving through the eel-grass

--------------------------------------------------

Third dive was a night dive at Gorgonian City. Kalani, Greg, Billy and Jeremy joined us. Because I didn't use a strobe today the photos on this dive didn't turn out well, but the dive was excellent. We saw 2 octos in the open, a polycera atra nudibranch, thornback rays, many crabs and many fish. We heard the sound of croakers the entire dive. Other divers saw a torpedo ray, pipefish, globe crabs, and a bat ray.

One area of the dive site was covered with small red sea cucumbers, hundreds of them. I've never seen anything like that!

Deer1+200.jpg

Baby Sunflower star; Small sunflower stars are nocturnal and only come out at night.

After a long day of diving it was nice to have a drink, the 6 of us had a nice debriefing. I hope you enjoyed the report!

Nice pictures Scott.

Thanks for sharing them. I am glad you had some good dives.

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom