Deerfield Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB

Obi-MB-Kenobi
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Almost got a late start, but we made it to Deerfield before 8am, and before the lifeguards could block beach access. I've often ended up near the Embassy Suite reef, but seldom started there. Today we entered by the public restroom (north end of this stretch of road) and worked south of the Embassy, then returned. Nice shower at the restrooms to rinse gear.

First reef is closer to the beach than up at Trespassers Ledge. The reef is much more like a plain / prairie than the ledges a few hundred yards north. Fair amount of life: yellow rays, 3 squid doing their line-up, 3 octos up by the hotel, 2 baby nurse sharks out in the open, a lunch sized flounder, a mackeral, a tarpon hovering almost out of sight, and lots of cool juveniles. Nice colors, sun and sand flickering, sweet flat seas... This is a great place to enter, as long as you avoid the lifeguards.

After leaving, we just watched the ocean for a while. Its beautiful today, an absolute miracle. I occurred to me that in a week, this might be one awful place to be. Even a minor storm will beat up this coastline, and a major storm could make it unrecognizable. Of course time changes everthing.

In a couple of posts last month, some folks mentioned that they thought this reef was ok, but not great. If you weren't impressed, try again and look again. Or wait a few weeks while the ocean changes clothes, and then try again. Its a nice spot.

86 min; 1600 psi; 21' max; 86 degrees in the water, with slight north bound current; flat seas, Grin Factor = 9.8

Thanks MB. Next time you do this dive, let me know. I am always up for a second chance.

Sounds like Deerfield is a great place to dive. I will have to try it sometime.

MB

WOW! This board is great. It's fantastic to read about experiences people like you are having out there. I hope you weathered the storm ok.

And Floridabelle...you live close to that wonderful-sounding spot. WOW! Very green here with envy here! I hope all is well for you Florida-dwellers after that big blow.

Best wishes from Canada

Sounds great, I'm looking for a beach dive next weekend (18th-19th) when I'm in the area. Although I'd like to hang around the Palm Beach area, Deerfield isn't too far

Any place to rent some air in the area?

Bob

makinbubbles:
<snip>
Any place to rent some air in the area?

Bob
I doubt it. But I'm sure there are plenty of places that will sell you air.:D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom