DEMA Listening Session

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been PMed and E-Mailed by several, asking what my take is on all of this. I will try to keep this lucid and not amble off in too many directions. First, let's take a look at what DEMA is predicated on:

About DEMA:
Mission Statement: To promote sustainable growth in safe recreational diving and snorkeling while protecting the underwater environment.
Purpose: DEMA exists to serve its members by identifying key issues that affect the growth and success of the scuba and snorkeling industry. It is the united voice that speaks on behalf of the sport and its operational function is to create focused programs that positively affect the industry.
Promise: DEMA fosters the highest levels of cooperation and professional standards among all the constituent groups who make up the scuba diving industry. DEMA delivers membership value by promoting an ongoing, powerful, consumer-focused image of scuba diving and providing information and tools that assist its members’ focus on reaching, communicating to and affecting the consumer.
You can read even more at About DEMA

When you read the above and the "Goals" portion on About DEMA, you can't help but agree with their premise and direction. They sound noble! However, I just don't see the execution and unfortunately, they just don't see their failure at executing these points.

I fully agree with Leadking that there needs to be a "firmer direction", however I kind of bristle at his use of the noun "dissidents". The point of this has never been that of sycophantic and gratuitous dissent. On the contrary, the emphasis has been to get DEMA back to it's roots of benefiting the entire industry and not just a few. Many of us, myself included, feel disenfranchised and like we are on the outside looking in at all the cool kids who get to have all the fun. It is my feeling that the BoD has a hard time seeing this dichotomy and even accepting it. I also feel that they have come a long way in that they are sincerely trying to understand what led up to these events. In that vein, let me help them out:

1. It's the Economy, DEMA! Local Dive Shops need (y)our help! They are frustrated by rules that seem to benefit those willing to break them. They need to learn more about how to approach and use the internet. While I did not see any of the internet presentations, those of the past concentrated on a Webmaster level and not on a noob user level. While they gave lip service to social networking, they completely missed giving them the tools to really make some headway as well as financial gains.
  2. Learn to Communicate! DEMA is horrible at it! That there were less than 20 people at the listening session and that many of the people attending the Thursday meeting thought that they were there for the Unified Dive Industry simply speaks volumes! Many I have talked to see DEMAIL as just more spam. Relying on it and other e-mail driven communications is just so "nineties".
  3. Learn to Listen! Many of my fellow instructors teach "Situational Awareness" to keep bad things from happening and you should develop that in the business environment. The BoD is comprised of very successful businessmen. You need to remember back when you were quite small and what you really needed to succeed. Share! After all, we are in this thing together.
  4. Anticipate Consequences. Anyone should have been able to see how the elimination of term limits was going to play out. There is no need to use the excuse that hindsight is 20/20 here as it was obvious from the start. I think it's great that we are revisiting this, but if we had had better communications at the onset, then more businesses would have voted on it! Perhaps By Law changes should require a quorum in order to pass? That would put a premium on communicating the need for a change to the entire DEMA membership.
  5. Don't let the Tail wag the Dog! One of the biggest criticisms has been about Tom appearing to take sides during this controversy. As far as I can tell, his role, along with the entire executive side of DEMA, should be that of adviser only. The executive side works for the Board of Directors (the membership) and not the other way around. That's not the perception among the membership that I know.
  6. Be Fair. Really. It often seems that there is a "Good ol' Boys" network going on. Free booths, free air fare, free this and that only fuel the fire. I hear that this is a quid pro quo, but I am less than convinced. The trade outs seem dubious at best and as I said fuel the fire for those who feel left out. In this respect, perception is everything.
  7. I am NOT your enemy. Really (#2). This is just as much MY DEMA as it is YOUR DEMA. You can ignore me, but I am not inclined to just go away. Yes, I have been reassured that the BoD has nothing personal against me, and I find some solace in that. Still, the overall perception by many of my colleagues is that my opinions are not wanted or appreciated.

What has happened so far:
Jim Byrem has been elected Chairman of the BoD.
The BoD has accepted the petition from it's members.

Also, the BoD has agreed to
Revisit Term Limits
Hold an election to fill Al Hornsby's vacated spot.
Initiate research into the ramifications of adopting "One member, One vote".

ScubaBoard has also agreed to move this forum into our Business to Business area. I will allow 24 more hours for it to exist here and then it will be moved. If you want access, you must prove you are a Scuba related business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom