DEMA Listening Session

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Ingram asked Oceanic if they pulled off of the petition and then read a statement that ScubaPro did pull their name off the list.

Chris Richardson, then got up to explain how upset he was that Tom was trying to get people to reconsider their position. He then stressed that this petition was in SUPPORT of DEMA and not against it.

I belong to the United States Dressage Federation -- which is the "National Affiliate Group" of Dressage people (riders, trainers, teachers, etc.). The organization has been given the primary job, amongst other things, of coordinating the pipeline of people for the US National Equestrian Team -- i.e., the people who go to the Olympics to represent the US. (This is an over simplification but let's go with it.) It is also the "premier" organization which tries to coordinate the training of the trainers/teachers, oversees the competitions (along with a "step-parent" organization, the United States Equestrian Federation).

In other words, the USDF is attempting to be the "Go To Organization" for Dressage -- a sport which makes the money we spend on Scuba look like pocket change.

Guess what -- the issues are almost exactly the same! The Board doesn't listen. The Board isn't responding to the needs of the members. The dues are too high for what we get in return. The Board is too insular. The Organization isn't doing anything positive to grow the sport. The Organization isn't using the Internet to capture new people. (Actually, in 1999 the Organization's BB was THE "Go To" place for people throughout the world to come and discuss issues -- the "ScubaBoard" of Dressage -- but due to Y2K issues, the Organization decided rather than upgrade its BB, it would drop it because it didn't want to be bothered with all those people!)

I've been involved with the governance of the USDF for 5+ years now and have been pushing one issue for 4+ years -- transparency in governance. After 4 years, 4 Conventions, too many meetings to contemplate, too many emails to count (and too many "Peter is a PITA!" comments), it looks like the Organization is finally going to, at least in theory, open up according to my origninal proposal. Quite frankly it took working within the system, and working without the system, to get this done. And this includes setting up a parallel communications system for communicating with the Delegates (we have an Executive Board which is elected by the Delegates who are elected by the general membership) which REALLY pissed off the Organization and the Executive Board.

Sometimes it takes a very squeaky wheel to get things done AND it takes a long time and continuous followthrough by the squeaker.

While many of you (DEMA members) have been squeaking, I think you need to think in a much longer time horizon. I know you are up to your a$$es in alligators, but the goal is still to drain the swamp.

Go ahead, and fend off the 'gators for now, but please, don't forget you need to continue to work on draining the swamp tomorrow, the day after and the year after that.

Just my always, and ever so humble, opinion and advice.

Pete:

Thank you for keeping us posted. Looking forward to hearing your comments now that the meeting has concluded.

Tom claims that the Be a Diver campaign has had 35 Billion impressions. Not a typo.

No, these were NOT web stats, but stats about TV and Radio. They don't do internet.

That just ain't possible...

I've been in the advertising agency business for quite some time and I can assure you that I have NEVER heard the word "BILLION" associated with number of impressions on ANY ad campaign ever - and I'm talking about McDonalds, Coke, GM, etc.

As I mentioned in another thread for context, a typical Super Bowl ad hits 100 million viewers. So in order to generate 35 billion exposures you'd need to run a Super Bowl ad every year for 350 YEARS in order to generate 35 billion exposures.

As I mentioned in another thread for context, a typical Super Bowl ad hits 100 million viewers. So in order to generate 35 billion exposures you'd need to run a Super Bowl ad every year for 350 YEARS in order to generate 35 billion exposures.

For further context, just to show the absurdity of the "35 billion" claim...

There are 305 million people in the US. So in order to get 35 billion exposures, you would need to hit every man, woman and child in the US 115 times.

Anyone here see the "Be A Diver" ad 115 times?

"I BELIEVE!"

:shakehead:

I just had to look up Tom Ingram to see why he seems to intimidate so many big names in the industry. What kind of dirt does he have on these people? He's about as threatening looking as a dead groundhog.

Bob Stood by his original commitment.

Bob is one of the "real deal" grandfathers of SCUBA.

He is was one of the very first divers on the wreck of the Andrea Doria. The entire Hollis family is totally involved and committed to diving.

No BOD would intimidate Bob Hollis.

Now a vote; using the old rules, multiple votes for those with the most $.

It will be interesting to see what happens next. A call for change has been made.

I have heard that the DEMA BOD had their backs to their audience. If that is true it
speaks volumes.

If there is no real change there will be no DEMA.

Bob Hollis is definately the real deal.

Back
Top Bottom