Destin Jetties, Sailboat, Morrison, HighTower, PCB Jetties Dive Reports 5-19 & 5-20-7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, you guys were up late last night posting reports!!!! I was still exhausted from the weekend!! :) The driving, walking, diving then driving some more wore me out!! But I had a great time!!
Saturday:
The 1/2 mile walk 3 times at the Destin Jetties(once to get the key from Mat to retrieve my trans pac he graciously brought to me from Orange Beach and the other two going and coming with gear) was quite a feat!! Of course me and my big rig could not find a parking place and wound up at the very end of the parking area. After the two walks to finally make it to the jetties and gear up and go in with Mike as our guide, Andy and I finally got in the water. Bless his heart we were doing fine until we hit about 40 ft then Andy couldn't clear his ears. He had to abort the dive and didn't try another. Mike and I went back down and I enjoyed watching Mike turn rocks over and harrass some crabs out of their hiding places. I enjoyed the dive but felt bad for Andy who had to work so hard to get us there and back and didn't get to enjoy the dive. I am a "girl" and I don't travel lightly so it was quite a struggle to get all my "stuff" back to the vehicle. Unlike my buddies who gear up in the parking lot, I consider a few things that I can't take in the water with me essentials such as a towel, sunscreen, mask defog, bathing suit coverup, water to drink, etc, etc.:D We borrowed SeaYoda's cart the first round which helped but still didn't hold all our stuff so we had to carry some of it, so you can imagine on the way back with no cart what it was like. I just don't see how you can take that heat in that wetsuit on that hike to the water. I guess that is better than what I did to my arms, neck and shoulders though, lol. So I got one dive in and Andy part of one.
Kira had a wonderful setup for us at her house and the food was excellent. I really enjoyed meeting saltydawg and wsw, Mike, his wife and son. I also had a great time with Bugman and Hockeygirl who I had already met. Mat even got me to try some beer he had and I drank a couple (yuk...sorry Mat..still don't like beer) but then Kira sneaked into the liquor cabinet and brought out some gin. Now that I liked. Thanks Kira. I really appreciate you being such a great host.
Sunday:
Now St Andrews I loved. The diving there was excellent. Beautiful marine life all along the rock wall. The second dive Andy and I decided to try it on our own. I had bought a dive flag and we had always been with a group who had one so this was the first time Andy and I did this on our own. He held the dive flag while I used the reel for navigation. We did a great job and had a great dive. I even got a fin caught in some fishing line and was able to free myself while still manuevering the reel. We had only been on one shore dive prior to this so it was quite an experience for us.
I enjoyed the food and socialing afterwards at a local restaurant also. Thanks guys and gals for a wonderful time of diving, dining and socializing.:)

As you can see from the couple of pics of me taken while diving, I was in a horizontal swim pattern thanks to my new transpac (have I mentioned that I love it)!!! :D I use to always wind up vertical while diving. This was my first time using it and I only had to use 10lbs of weight in salt water in a full 3m suit with boots and gloves and I was still a bit overweighted!! With a little more experience with it, I feel like I will enjoy it even more.:)

snepdiver:
Dog sitter, Yeah.

I enjoyed visiting with Kathy and your daughter!!! She didn't run from me when she saw me coming. Maybe I snuck up on her.:D (just kidding) It was also nice to meet your son. He and Andy and I talked about the kind of diving he is doing for the military and it was fascinating. We got there before everyone else and still wound up in the water last.
As we made our way back to get our gear, we were stopped by fellow divers wanting to see our dive trailer and how it was set up. My transpac was sitting there on the sidewalk and I had another diver stop and we talked about that for awhile. There were alot of divers at St Andrews and they were all very friendly.
I didn't see the camping facilities but they have camping there and it only cost $5.00 per vehicle to get in the park. They don't charge any extra for diving. It sounds like the makings of a good place for a dive and dine location sometime this summer.:D

SeaYoda,

Great pics as always. The hermit crab in the big lightning welk shell looks huge! I've never seen one like that at the jetties - have you? Also, the yellow-colored razorfish - I've never seen one like that either, and that color phase is not depicted in Humann's book. (I've only got the second edition, so maybe some additional razorfish pictures are in the third edition). A number of tropical fish species have a yellow color phase that is relatively rare - for example, trumpetfish. Maybe this is also the case with razorfish. Do you think the sponges have just appeared in the last year? In general, sponges are supposed to be slow growing, but perhaps in a high current area such as the pass they can grow faster.

I've seen the large hermit crab on the last couple of dives. The jetties here seem to be a dumping area for fish carcasses after the fishing boats get into the pass... guess there is alot to eat.

The yellow razorfish has been around on the last few dives onsite as well. It was a first sighting for me this year, a month, month and a half ago?

I don't really have a lot to add to the Destin dive report. cmufieldhockey8 and two guys I invited were the last to enter the water. (Actually I think Denisegg and Andy may have been.) Saltydawg and WSW had been waiting for us so six entered the water together.

cmufieldhockey8 and I were the only ones who braved the strange jetty currents. We didn't make it to the anchor but we came close. I was attempting underwater photography for only the second time. I'm jealous of seayoda cause he got a picture of a fish that I tried to get.

After we the first dive four of us headed back to the cars for tanks. Fortunately for me, I had a nice guy offer to handle my tanks. (That stupid walk seems harder each time I do it. :shakehead )

We then went for our second dive. cmufieldhockey8 and I didn't head out to the anchor this time and stayed closer in with the two guys I had invited. Saw all kinds of sea life. Don't have good pictures to show for it though. Feeling a little chilled we called the dive around 40 minutes. Contrary to mike_s knowledge my air usuage has improved since the last time we dived. (a year ago and on my first post cert dive.:mooner: )

After the dive it was time for me to head home to make sure that the house looked presentable. But first there was the conversation of places for good hamburgers. (Suprbugman - I think callahan's may have moved to their new location near Krispy Kreme)

Dinner at my place was good. Unfortunately we had too much crawfish and not enough eaters. I ended up spending about 4 hours separting meat from shell. It is now tucked away in my freezer for future use. :D

Alarm clock issues caused me to miss St. Andrews. (Also causing me to be late getting up this week for work. Fortunately the boss is on vacation and doesn't know.) However, it did give my time to spend with my big bro Saltydawg. We played miniature golf, and I won. I have to enjoy the moment because usually my miniature golf scores are so high that I can't count any more.

As usual it was a great weekend of diving and company. Those who missed it :shakehead you will learn one of these days that you must do whatever it takes to join us.:D

No, but I wish they had. It would show that I am no sissy..I literally pull my own weight...:D

All I have to add is that i got crapped on by what must've been a large bird as soon as I got the Destin. :xeye: My hand was covered in poop and it got on my backplate and harness too!

It's a good thing nobody got a picture of that

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom