DGX 600 Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bqq100

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone ever used one? Seems like a lot of light for a really good price. I just signed up for the SDI Night/Low Vis class and need to get a second light. I currently have a Intova IFL-WA-ZOOM. Will those 2 lights be good for the class and any basic night reef dives I may do in the future?

That light will likely blow away your other dive lights. It's actually made by Brinyte and I've done several reviews on their product line. See Brinyte DIV05

In short the light is compact, robust, and bright. It can easily become your favorite dive light.

the statement... "The DGX 600 has the highest performing single-die LED that is commercially available" is not true. There are many LEDs. Cree also makes the MT-G2 which is brighter and there's others, but whatever.

The DIV05 (DGX 600) puts out about 600 OTF lm (out-the-front lumens) and 12,000 cd (candela). But since flashlight customers have been consistently told inflated lumen numbers - this probably means very little.

It's brighter than my canister light or my friend's Hollis 16 canister light. Comparable to DRIS 1k Shorty or DRIS1000.

re. Night Diving:
I've read what some SB members have said about bright lights when looking at marine life. I guess for some individuals it would be too bright for that application.

I use these as backups... usually I'm cave diving. Being compact they tuck in nicely to the shoulder straps with a snoopy loop (example pic).

Also, you'll be getting into the Li-ion cells (if you haven't already). These are great batteries since they hold a lot of energy in a small package. But I highly recommend Panasonic / Panasonic based 18650s or other quality Li-ion cell. And avoid Ultrafire, Marsfire, or anything that says -fire :D

US based sellers for quality 18650s:

mtnelectronics
r-Isales

I see DGX also has a handmount for it (see DGX)

Last edited:
I have several of these. they are great lights. BUT the run time is exaggerated. I get about 50 minutes from 2400mah cells and 90 minutes from Panasonic 3400ma cells. This is of usable light. It will start off in excess of 600lumen ( Cree XML driven at 2.8amp max) but slowly decrease as the cell voltage decreases.

I have modified a couple. One I changed the driver for a 1.4amp one. This should double the run time and half the output. The other I removed the reflector and moved the LED closer to the lens for use as a video/focus light.

At 8 degrees and 600 lumens the DGX will be fine for low viz, the Zoom will be good for clear water reef diving at wider angles. I've used the Zoom but not DGX. FWIW I use a 250 lumen light in wide angle for reef diving, IMO 600 lumens would be too much.

Dont know much about that particular light, but as someone who spends a lot of time in low/no light environments, my recommendation is to find out how long your dives will be and how many dives you will be doing.

The key note on the specifics of this light is that it will provide near full power for 1 hour and then begin to fade over the next hour. If you are doing 2 40min dives, by the end of the last dive you will have no light, unless you replace the batteries during your surface interval.

If your doing a class i would check on the ability to rent a canister light and save your money. Canister lights have on average have a 4hour burn time with over 1000 lumens. They make a dark dive way more enjoyable.

Remember this is just my opinion.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That light will likely blow away your other dive lights. It's actually made by Brinyte and I've done several reviews on their product line. See Brinyte DIV05

Compared to Ali, MIC, and Amazon, the DGX price on this is actually really good since they include a battery and charger. The others don't appear to from what I could find.

Curious now though, since I ended up on a few other sites looking at Brinyte.

I found this Brinyte DIV08. Any idea what company uses a re-branded version of this light?
I like the option of 3 modes and I prefer the button switch to the rotating style (in theory anyway).
I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on the DGX light until I saw this one.

I see you cross-pollinate your wealth of light knowledge. :wink:

I have modified a couple. One I changed the driver for a 1.4amp one. This should double the run time and half the output. The other I removed the reflector and moved the LED closer to the lens for use as a video/focus light.

Any chance you have a step-by-step thread on how to make modifications like that?

Last edited:
I have the DGX as well as a couple of Intova lights - the IFL600, which is a 300 lumen light, and an Ultra, which is a 220 lumen light, either of which is brighter than the home made 50watt halogen canister light I have. and I can't say that the DGX is much brighter than either of them. BUT, the DGX handle is half the length of either of them. It's a lot of light in a small package and while the center spot isn't much brighter than the Intovas', the spill light (the big circle outside the center spot) definitely is. I haven't put it in the water yet (it just arrived on Friday), but I don't think you'd be disappointed. You can put the DGX just about anywhere.

The $10 hand strap is a different story. Glad it was only $10. Nice idea. Poor implementation - probably didn't want to infringe too much on the $50+ Dive Rite version they also sell. The velcro wrap on top will probably hold it OK, but it is the strap on the bottom that holds it on your hand that is the issue. I did get their $20 goodman handle and it would be a better fit for the DGX if you wanted to use it that way.

Any chance you have a step-by-step thread on how to make modifications like that?

Remove front bezel, This may be loc-tite'd on.
remove reflector,
Unscrew LED pill via the front of the light.
Gently pry out PCB from the back of the pill to access the driver PCB
locate the 8 small IC's on the driver PCB. From memory there are 4 on each side.
Remove as many of these as you like... leave at least one. They will pass 350ma of current each. Or alternativly replace with another AMC7135 based driver. Some will have multiple modes if you are in to that kind of thing.
If you get stuck then contact me and I can sell you a modified one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom