Did I ruin my mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi LowDrag,

Thanks for reply. Should that be straight vinegar or diluted with water? And yes, from now on I'm not going to put my mask back into any kind of container/case without letting it/towel dry first.

Virg

---------- Post added December 31st, 2014 at 06:07 PM ----------

And sorry, obviously I haven't figured out how to individually respond to posts yet. You'd think a programmer could do better than this :dork2:.

You could dilute it 50/50 if you want to it wouldn't hurt. I also just TSandM's post and like that idea as well. The heat and hot water will get in and clean out any mold in the frame work I bet.

On the posting thing...it is not you it the forum that does it. We all have had that happen. No biggee.

Last edited:
Run it through the dishwasher. Seriously.

And just to be safe, I would put it on the top rack, and probably take it out before the dry cycle, and allow it to air dry. You don't want a heat source to potentially warp any plastic parts.

Don't use powdered detergent, if you use the dishwasher. It will put tiny pits in the glass.

I recommend bleach to kill everything really dead. The dishwasher may not do so. My wife had a mold problem with her mask several years ago. It has custom, thick lenses with several narrow spaces between lens and silicone. Dishwasher spray would not clean these, nor would a toothbrush. I soaked the mask in bleach, pulling the silicone away from the lenses, allowing the bleach solution to penetrate around and under all the spaces and seals. Bleach killed the organisms. An additional soak in hydrogen peroxide eliminated what was left. There was no damage to the mask.

The problem with bleech is that you will have a pretty strong chlorine smell for awhile, so I would start with the vinegar solution or the dishwasher with mild soap

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom