Difference between Conshelf 2nds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I should start a new thread for this question, but since it’s at least tangent to the question at hand, here goes…

When doing an annual clean and check of a 1085 second stage, if the exhaust valve (silicone type rubber) looks and feels good,is there any reason to replace it? I fall toward “no” but I want to hear your studied opinions on the subject.

TIA ~ 🐸

Yes, I have had these valves stick before. Sometimes it’s the quality of the valve material or flexibility over time. Often it’s not subjecting your regulator or other gear that has this type of valve to a thorough cleaning. Things to avoid are hasty rinsing unless you plan to keep gear moist for a short time. …not really recomended. Cleaning in highly chlorinated municipal drinking water. Chlorine including pool chlorine is hard on rubber parts. Water quality. Contaminated water especially where waters are subjected to petroleum pollution can destroy a rubber component quickly. I have had these valves turn into a gummy soft mess that could actually invert in an exhaust valve assembly and leak water back into a 2nd stage as well as ruining a favorite dive mask, now a gummy mess. If diving in salt water you may want to periodically inspect insides of 2nd stage for deposits and oxidation. A white vinegar solution can lift these and followed by a non chlorinated water rinse and thorough drying. Allan Klauda recommends removing corrugated DHR hoses after diving them w/in a short time as these are as we know, one way valves. Inspect hand thoroughly clean especially exhaust side. Hang to drain and he uses a ‘blower ‘ setting in a small vacuum to air dry quickly before he reassembles. Keeps components lasting longer and avoids possible contamination of exhaust hoses. I have done this except the vacuum, which incidentally is a great idea.

Yes, I have had these valves stick before. Sometimes it’s the quality of the valve material or flexibility over time. Often it’s not subjecting your regulator or other gear that has this type of valve to a thorough cleaning. Things to avoid are hasty rinsing unless you plan to keep gear moist for a short time. …not really recomended. Cleaning in highly chlorinated municipal drinking water. Chlorine including pool chlorine is hard on rubber parts. Water quality. Contaminated water especially where waters are subjected to petroleum pollution can destroy a rubber component quickly. I have had these valves turn into a gummy soft mess that could actually invert in an exhaust valve assembly and leak water back into a 2nd stage as well as ruining a favorite dive mask, now a gummy mess. If diving in salt water you may want to periodically inspect insides of 2nd stage for deposits and oxidation. A white vinegar solution can lift these and followed by a non chlorinated water rinse and thorough drying. Allan Klauda recommends removing corrugated DHR hoses after diving them w/in a short time as these are as we know, one way valves. Inspect hand thoroughly clean especially exhaust side. Hang to drain and he uses a ‘blower ‘ setting in a small vacuum to air dry quickly before he reassembles. Keeps components lasting longer and avoids possible contamination of exhaust hoses. I have done this except the vacuum, which incidentally is a great idea.
…to be ‘short’ inspect them and they shouldn’t need replaced if still flexible and they seal correctly….

replacements for some of the different stickers were available from some of the vendors up until recently.

That reminds me I have some photos from the "Skunk Works" of the bare brass soldered box tops and box bottoms made Also I took a photo on the bench of the rolls of labels for the various second stages The Conshelf XIV certainly and I think a couple of odd specials. Cameras back then were 35mm roll film so don't expect a Jpeg anytime soon. But will try and hunt them out. Iain

That reminds me I have some photos from the "Skunk Works" of the bare brass soldered box tops and box bottoms made Also I took a photo on the bench of the rolls of labels for the various second stages The Conshelf XIV certainly and I think a couple of odd specials. Cameras back then were 35mm roll film so don't expect a Jpeg anytime soon. But will try and hunt them out. Iain
That would be ridiculously cool to see

I just had to have one of my eye teeth filled at the dentist today, or I’d offer give them for a few rolls of those stickers! More realistically, I’m still hoping to find an Aquarius sticker or two and a Conshelf Octopus sticker. Just my abnormal fetish for completing sets of things. I guess it’s OCD at work!
🐸

I’d like to add a ‘classic’ = metal second to my ‘new’ doublehose (US Divers can with Phoenix second stage and DSV mouthpiece)

In terms of performance and parts availability, what is the difference between a Conshelf XIV and a XII?

The XII is going for less than half a XIV
XII and XIV tells you what the first stage is

XII and XIV tells you what the first stage is
Or said another way, the versions of the 1085 second stage box are the same. The only difference is the sticker on the purge button. The first stages on the XII & XIV are where they differ.

There was another thread here recently that linked to a post on VDH forum that went through the whole Conshelf series from VI through XIV as well as the later plastic ones. His initial post skipped the Military C 14 and the last metal second stage, the Conshelf 30, but they were discussed later in the thread. I’ll try and post a link here if I can find it again.
🐸
Editted to add: this link was provided by @happy-diver;

@Nemrod was a huge help on this topic, in this thread:

There are a zillion or so Conshelf regs out there of various types and a lot of long time divers know, use, remember, etc a huge body of info about them, but AFAIK, there is no one place to find it all. Fortunately, a lot of “old hands” hang around here, and when asked, have their memories jogged. Remember, the newest of these regs are approaching 30 years of age, so those of us who were using them new are getting a little long of tooth. Just keep reading and asking, and just about anything you could want to find will appear! (MAYBE)

The Factual Frog 🐸

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom