Difference between G200B and G250?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm just wondering if there's any internal difference between a G200B and a G250 besides the adjuster knob.
Is there a way to convert the 200 to a 250?
Will the same kit for a 250 work on a 200B?

I tore down my 200B the other night and it needs a kit for sure, it's been several years now.
It's not my primary reg since I use 109's now, but I thought I'd keep it around as a loaner.

Service kits are the same.
Unfortunately, unlike other models, it's not possible to simply remove the end plug and fit an adjustment knob.

I believe it is a different barrel also. Yes, it can be converted but it may be cheaper and easier to just pick up another G250.

To convert it you need the longer air barrel and the adjustor knob, plus a C ring that may or may not come with the air barrel. (I don't know) I have an adjuster knob, just waiting to get the right deal on an air barrel and I'll convert my G200B to G250. Performance-wise there's no difference aside from the ability to adjust.

I suspect dealer cost on the parts would be around $50, that's a guess. The way G250s are going on ebay these days it very well could be cost-effective to convert, but before spending the money it's worth taking a dive with a G250 and G200B. Tough to tell the difference.

DA Aquamaster did it, just search his posts with G200 as a keyword, but I don't think it's really worth while for mere mortals like the rest of us because it's not easy to find the barrel and the knob. You only need to tune the G200B conservatively, somewhat above 1.2 in. of water and you'll be fine.

Also, if you're using a G200B for as a 2nd, you're second will breathe better than almost every rental rig out there.

We had one Mk10/G200B in the ScubaJackets rental gear when I was at GT. It was far and away the most desired setup for almost everyone who used the gear since it was such a nice breather.

All of my alternate 2nds have user adjustable cracking pressure. That way I get top performance when I want it but still have good control over freeflows when it is pressurized but just hanging there. Non-adjustable 2nds are either my primary which is in my mouth or is on my slung pony which is turned off to limit accidental gas loss.

Yeah, I have to say that G200B is one hell of a nice breather. It was my very first reg.
Same as a 109BA but the 109 has a hell of a lot more class.

I'm just going to throw a kit in it as is and run it, no conversions, not worth it.
I have too many regs as it is.

Yeah, I have to say that G200B is one hell of a nice breather. It was my very first reg.
Same as a 109BA but the 109 has a hell of a lot more class...

You nailed it, Bro!
Sometimes I wonder why I'm constantly messing with my 156/BA's when I'm totally satisfied with my G250's.

It's like when I'm driving my sanitized, fully-warrantied, air-conditioned, automatic-shifted, computer-controlled, parking-assisted, GPS'ed modern car and dream about that elusive E-type Jaguar (substitue with whatever you fancy) with that horrible engine, poor engineering, lousy body work, horrendous assembly job, and its inability to cover anything above a thousand miles without a major overhaul.

It's because it's got Class!
And none of the con's above applies here. :D

It's like when I'm driving my sanitized, fully-warrantied, air-conditioned, automatic-shifted, computer-controlled, parking-assisted, GPS'ed modern car and dream about that elusive E-type Jaguar (substitue with whatever you fancy) with that horrible engine, poor engineering, lousy body work, horrendous assembly job, and its inability to cover anything above a thousand miles without a major overhaul.

It's because it's got Class!
And none of the con's above applies here. :D

When I graduated HS in 1964, my uncle gave me his 1960 XKE convertible. Too bad my mother made me give it back when everybody sobered up the next morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom