Differences Between Men And Women In Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi -

As a new female diver, so far, the biggest problem I have is that gear shops "discriminate" against us by not carry gear that fits. For example, as I am small, wearing a BC w/ integrated weights is absolutely not an option, for 3 reasons. I feel crushed in the ribs by the weights. When drawing a breath in, the resistance doesn't come from the reg in front of my face; it comes from having to fight to expand my ribs and my diaphragm. Secondly, the integrated BC is too bulky. It restricts the movement of my arms and head so I feel confined. 3rd, the integrated weights sit above my center of gravity, so my balance is off. I am comfortable in an AquaLung Wave which is non-integrated. Besides, when wearing a weightbelt, the weights are directly at my center of gravity so I feel better balanced. Now I'm hearing that shops are discontinuing non-integrated BCs. That really pisses my off. You know, not all of us are 5'6"+ men.

- Wngdwolf

Yeah, I agree -- stuff doesn't fit, whether it's BCs or Goodman handles or reels.

Liz, what happened to the Women's diving conference you were arranging?

With all due respect, that weight integration issue (as aggravating as it sounds) is a personal fit/body composition issue. I don't really see how that has to do with any male/female difference.

With all due respect, that weight integration issue (as aggravating as it sounds) is a personal fit/body composition issue. I don't really see how that has to do with any male/female difference.

Well body composition on average varies significantly between men and women so it *does* have to do with male/female difference. Women are usually shorter, with bigger hips and they also have breasts so I think the design of BCs does affect women differently to men. I have used normal BCs and also the Ladyhawk BC. All the normal BCs, squish my breasts with the straps, and the integrated weight digs into my hips. The Ladyhawk one has straps above my breasts and it sits better over my hips. With all due respect... you're not a woman so probably aren't aware of how normal BCs feel to us :p

Okay, my two bar.... I have a little different perspective. I was the only female in my Rescue course, my dive master course, and my instructor course.... I was always treated equally.
But as DM, I lead the boat and all the guys and girls look to me. They also want me in their group, because I can find the coolest stuff... As an instructor, I get respect and men coming for advice. And because it's my responsibility, I am the main one schlepping tanks... Though all join in, of course, even the chicks. I have noted that most(NOT ALL!!), women will try to walk away and not pitch in to help unload the boat, while every guy automatically stays. I'm not saying that I expect the tiny women to pull tanks, but there are lots of light equipment to take off and they tend to ignore it.
At the end of the day, I want a personal buddy to be a equal buddy. It doesn't matter if they are male or female, and I have found that most people I've been around, feel the same.

Now, for equipment. I'm 5'8", and have been a competitive athlete all my life. I have lots of muscle bulk, yet also plenty of cleavage........ This means- NOTHING fits me. You're right. They do NOT make female wetsuits that are actually true to sizes... I wear a men's large, because the medium is too tight in the chest, yet the large is huge and baggy everywhere else. If I regularly dove "temperate" waters, I would have to get custom. Luckily, I only need a wetsuit for January and February here. I am also one of those women who rarely feel the cold. I wear just a bathing suit once the water hits 20 celcius - 68 farenheit. So it's not that big a deal. And I take off the chest strap of bcd's, no matter what type. It just ain't gonna happen. Okay, I'm done.

as an instructor, I find that girls listen to and follow directions better than guys. they not embarrassed to ask two, three times if needed. guys on the other hand don't ask questions, they just try to figure things out.

also, I find that girls are much better in "buddy diving", they stay closer to each other, check on-each other more frequently.

finally, girls are not embarrassed to accept help from a female instructor. I used to teach Italian man whom would not take my hands I offered to help them out of the ocean at a particularly slippery spot in Malta. lots of times I was smiling and saying "I told you..." as they fell with their gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom