Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a din reg with a yoke adapter, you can connect to anything. This can not be said for the reverse condition.
Really? All it takes is the doughnut insert in the DIN tank valve.

When I was an OW diver diving in the U.S., Caribbean, and lots of other places, I had just a yoke regulator, and I routinely used it everywhere. When I dived in Chuuk, they had DIN valves, but since every passenger had yoke regulators, they all had the doughnuts ready to go. There are a couple of operators in Cozumel that have DIN valves, but, again, they doughnut adapters are all ready to go.

When I got into technical diving and started buying my own tanks, i switched to DIN. I now own 7 regulator sets and 9 tanks, all DIN. I don't rent tanks often these days, but when I do, I ask for DIN, and if they don't have it, I have to use an adapter. When I went to the Bahamas last year, I had no trouble using my DIN regulators for the cave diving, but the open water operator I used only had a couple of DIN tanks, and I had forgotten to bring my adapter. We sometimes had to scramble to get the right tanks in place.

I think that's a long way to say that if I were only doing open water diving while renting tanks in this part of the world, I would stick with yoke.

The doughnuts are not long enough to fit the 300 bar DIN valves.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Those only work on valves that are designed to be convertible.

I've heard that a few times and I don't understand it. Why wouldn't it work? Just a piece of metal with an O ring in it, cut to fit a din tank valve. Why does there need to be something special in the valve to accommodate an insert vs a regulator?

Honest question there, not trying to give you a hard time.

Din vs yoke is kinda like beta vs VHS. One is better, but the other is more popular.

If you intend on mostly (always) renting tanks then go yoke. If you intend to buy tanks and dive local then go din. In 25 years of Caribbean diving I have yet to even see a DIN tank.

Yoke clamps will not fit on true 300 bar valves. 300 BAR valves have a longer profile. The extra threads account for that.

The clamp opening is not large enough to fit over the valve and the inserts are not long enough for the 300 BAR DIN valves.

You will not get a good seal if you don't seat them all the way in. If you do screw them all the way in then the reg face will not mate with the face of the insert.

---------- Post added April 19th, 2014 at 05:37 PM ----------

If you look at the DIN insert it has an o ring on the front and the back. If both o rings do not make firm contact with a surface the insert will not seal. All it takes is a look at the insert and it is plain to see.

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense.

Really? All it takes is the doughnut insert in the DIN tank valve.

As others have stated, the doughnut inserts do not work with 300bar valves. I posted a bunch of photos on this thread to illustrate this (post #8) :

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/480826-using-my-own-regs.html

I got beat down because apparently in Cozumel, nobody has 300bar valves.
In North Carolina, if you you ask to use a HP120, they will respond with: "Do you have a DIN reg?"

Last edited:
Is always the same in this din vs joke treats...

Enviado desde móvil con TapaTalk 4

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom