using my own regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJ76

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a quick question, if i book with an op that uses high pressure tanks, am i able to use my yoke regs? Pretty sure i can't if I understand correctly.

I'm pretty sure all the companies that use HP tanks are able to provide adapters.

Aldora uses valves with inserts for yoke regs. I think the others do the same. Most modern regs can handle higher pressure, but not 100%. Your op should be able to tell you if there is an issue with your reg. Email your chosen op in advance if you need to confirm that your reg is appropriate for higher pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost all rental tanks in the Caribbean will have valves for yoke regulators. If they happen to rent tanks with 200 bar DIN valves they will most likely have the yoke inserts for those tanks as well. To be ultra-sure contact the op before hand and ask them directly what they use.

So, unless your regulator documentation specifically states not to use on high pressure 3442 cylinders you should be fine.

two things to solve:

1. How old are your regs? Practically all modern regs will handle HP pressures (3442 psi). I am not aware of anything in the last 10-15 years that can't. Modern yoke is capable of 3442 pressures (or they wouldn't make 200 BAR DIN valves with yoke inserts compatible for HP tanks). Your LDS should be able to verify this if you have "older" equipment.

With that information:

2. Find out if the dive operator uses for tank valves as described above.

I have a quick question, if i book with an op that uses high pressure tanks, am i able to use my yoke regs? Pretty sure i can't if I understand correctly.

Pretty sure the answer is: No.
The guts of your reg could handle the pressure, but it will not physically fit over the high pressure tank valve. (designed that way)

I'll see if I can take some pictures to explain. (give me a little time).

---------------

pictures:

Here is a standard valve for LP to 3000psi tanks. This one can only accept Yoke regulators:

IMG_1214.jpg

Here is a yoke on the valve:

IMG_1219.jpg
Here is a convertible 232 bar valve. it will accept din regulators and yoke with the adapter. Pretty much the same dimensions as yoke only valve:
IMG_1215.jpg

Here is the adapter plug:
IMG_1223.jpg

Here is the convertible valve with plug:
IMG_1221.jpg

Here it is with a yoke:

IMG_1220.jpg

Here is a high pressure tank valve (300bar). Notice how much bigger it is.

IMG_1216.jpg

the Yoke will not physically fit:

IMG_1218.jpg

Here is the adapter plug in the High pressure valve. See how deep it goes? will not work with a yoke regulator.

IMG_1222.jpg

Last edited:
Yes.....I do it all the time......here's a pic I took of my good friend(from about 4 weeks ago) hooked up to a HP tank, with Aldora.....He's using his SP yoke 1st stage...

12915120015_ea689402dd.jpg
[/URL]Hawksbill #1 with Sam by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

It will be no problem with our HP tanks, actually rated to 232 BAR or 3475 PSI. Even if you had an ancient reg we could adapt it. The limiting factor of old regs was only the pipe fitting going into the reg. For years we did a simple change out of those pipe fittings, took two minutes and we never had a problem. But all of that is history and now, its no problem at all.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS The high pressure DIN valve has a threaded insert which the yoke connects with. If a diver has a DIN reg, a simple allen (hex) wrench unscrews the insert and it is ready for DIN. These valves are known as Thermo Valves.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom