Din / yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For stage/deco bottles, it's for most of the same reasons and uniformity.....Everything din.....In time, probably all reg's and tanks will go din/300bar.....Simplifies things.......

In time, probably all reg's and tanks will go din/300bar

Maybe not. Brass is soooo soft (relatively speaking). If a scuba cylinder with a DIN valve (whether 200 Br or 300 Br) is being transported or stored without a regulator in place, that valve had better have either a DIN plug or a K-valve insert/converter in place, or it risks being bumped and deformed, and perhaps rendered useless—which is probably why DIN valves will never replace K-valves altogether, for example, on Caribbean dive charter boats.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Advantages of DIN: more secure connection due to trapped o-ring, can handle higher pressures than yoke, doesn't bend when some idiot on boat picks up stage/deco tanks by yoke screw, doesn't have yoke screw sticking up to catch on overhead wiring/lumps of rock/tangles of fishing line/nets, doesn't have yoke screw sticking out of deco tanks and getting in the way. That's just the 15 seconds of thought list.

Advantages of yoke: erm... Lost me there. Only advantages I can think of for yoke refer to NDL/recreational diving.

Surely equipment choices and the reasoning behind them were discussed in your course?
I CRY BS!! Wether yoke or din the orings are trapped when the stages are connected. As far as pressure goes I have had a few "heavy" fills that did not cause a yoke failure or oring blowout. I do however have both din and yoke, both which perform great. The din is most definitely lower profile and less "clunky". This is just my opinion and observation.

I prefer the DIN over the yoke, especially when carrying stage/deco bottles. I've seen more than one diver with yoke stage/deco bottles attempt to open the gas valve during a gas switch and accidentally unscrew the first stage from the valve itself, oops :banghead:

no dive shop or boat owner is going to spend the money to upgrade to din unless there is customer pressure.

why have second best?

All of my current gear is DIN, like most everyone here. However I still have to always carry around two yoke adapters anytime I go anywhere.

DIN is such a safer/better option, someone please tell me why yoke is so prevalent?

All of my current gear is DIN, like most everyone here. However I still have to always carry around two yoke adapters anytime I go anywhere.

DIN is such a safer/better option, someone please tell me why yoke is so prevalent?

Because din is the new kid on the block. Yoke was there from the beginning.

We had a policy at the dive centre I used to manage that everyone was taught from the very beginning on DIN regs. All students were shown a yoke regulator and it was explained to them why DIN are a superior first stage. I sold very little Yoke / International A Clamp regs, and loads of DIN regs. Why would you not want to dive the best solution?

It's a regional thing. I'd love to hear an old timer talk about how it got that way.

When you own/bring your own tanks, you follow the rules of the compressor owner. When you don't bring your own tanks, you follow the rules of whoever owns the tanks.

I own a DIN first stage and yoke adapter and own DIN tanks so I'm set wherever I go.

Ok I did a little research and got the feeling that everyone here in the US uses the Yoke connection, much for the same reason we all use the imperial system instead of the metric system...Better simpler ways of doing things, but this is the US dammit and we use yokes and inches here!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom