Din / yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is very rare to see a cave diver using yoke. The reason as I see it is, safety. Regardless of what the mechanism is that makes it better, I've never seen a DIN O-ring blow underwater. However, I have seen several yoke o-rings blow on land and underwater. Even if it only saved 1 failure in 2000 dives, as a cave diver, I gotta go with the method that is safer. For me, that's DIN.

plus its lower profile, more streamline, looks cooler.

I have used DIN regs for the last 5 years without a single blown oring and I only dive recreationally. In that same time period I've witnessed and heard countless snaps, hisses coming from Yokes. When I travel, I just bring and adapter but most places have convertible valves these days anyway. I see no reason to use a yoke but if that's what I had, I just bring a pocket full of orings and dive.

I CRY BS!! Wether yoke or din the orings are trapped when the stages are connected. As far as pressure goes I have had a few "heavy" fills that did not cause a yoke failure or oring blowout. I do however have both din and yoke, both which perform great. The din is most definitely lower profile and less "clunky". This is just my opinion and observation.

Superlyte's already said it, but since it was my post you called BS...

Number of extruded o-rings I have seen underwater on yoke tanks in 3,500-odd dives: five, plus many, many smaller leaks.
Number of extruded o-rings I have seen on DIN tanks in same time frame: zero, although I did once have a minor leak from an o-ring I knew wasn't seated properly but figured I'd get away with. (And did).

And, not to question anyone's reading skills, but the OP did appear to be talking about technical diving? I've got no problem with yoke valves for rec diving, all of my rental regs are yoke, and I have some 3550psi tanks I'm quite happy putting yoke valves on. But for tec diving, it's DIN all the way.

I did not realize this topic would stur up so much controversy! As I read every review my conclusion in simple, Yoke (or yoke adapter) is preferred for trips that you are renting gear as the majority of rental places still use Yoke. As actual safety is concerned the fact that delusion and mental process slowing while the body is under pressure is a very real thing, with this, deco stops should be as safe as possible and the accidental unhooking the 1st stage instead of turning the tank 'on' would not be a good thing. This does not even look at the likely-hood of o-rings failing while underwater. I do understand that this is a very rare chance on either types (yoke/DIN) but I still would like the odds in my favor. I appreciate all the conversations and the controversy I uncovered.

I did not realize this topic would stur up so much controversy!

NickPhillips,

I just reread the posts here. I personally don't see any "controversy." (Maybe the "BS" stuff could have been omitted, but nothing seems particularly contentious.) Just people's opinions, which is what you solicited.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Maybe controversy was the wrong word, but it was interesting to read everyones personal view on the topic. I do appreciate all the posts as knowledge is power... Or so they say

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom