DIR and Drysuit socks/boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the cons of the integrated boot is I cannot completely turn the integrated boot inside out to air or to dry it like I'd prefer.

That's easily fixable ... there's a number of drysuit dryer approaches out there. Mark Vlahos made me a dryer out of PVC pipe that slips down into my socks/boots and dries them out rather quickly. Mine's powered by a CPAP machine, but any number of fans would do the job easily.

Also, UK makes a drysuit hanger with a built-in fan that does a surprisingly good job of drying out the inside of a suit ... right down to the boots ... costs around $40 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Pretty sure that GI3 was specifically pro-turbosole and anti-rockboot.

Given that the majority of DIR divers being carted off to ERs in Ambulances in Seattle seem to have occurred due to slip-and-falls with doubles I'm not positive that I agree with dismissing this as merely a "land problem".

I do use turbosoles though.

Well, it is a land problem when you consider how they got hurt ... but then again, getting into and out of the water is pretty essential for any dive.

What I've noticed over the years is that pretty much any "official" DIR positions on equipment only consider what works best in caves. That's not necessarily what's going to work best elsewhere.

Like you noticed ... people who dress like a cave diver sometimes aren't optimally equipped to deal with conditions in other environs ... and sometimes it hurts ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

From what I understand what rock boots give in support they take away in articulation and range of motion. Some DIR fin kicks are best achieved with good range of motion and ankle articulation. IJS, but i could be wrong.

There doesnt seem to be a specific dry suit DIR law though. At least I havent read about it (except for the self donning requirement)

There is no self-donning requirement.

Definitely not a requirement, but the back zipper seems to be recommended against, as it can make valve shutdowns harder.

From what I understand what rock boots give in support they take away in articulation and range of motion. Some DIR fin kicks are best achieved with good range of motion and ankle articulation. IJS, but i could be wrong.
It depends on the rock boot. Most I've used (White's, Bare, DUI) give pretty good range of motion ... not noticeably different than I get with my Santi suit, which has the Santi equivalent of turbosoles.

There doesnt seem to be a specific dry suit DIR law though. At least I havent read about it (except for the self donning requirement)
Not that I'm aware of ... although I don't see too many DIR folks using neo suits ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've had no problems.

Fair 'nuff. It was recommended against by my instructor when I was choosing a drysuit, though. Not a "worst thing ever" recommendation, just a suggestion.

There is no self-donning requirement.

OK, let me amend that to a strong suggestion. When I read about the equipment requirements I remember the self-donning being important enough to make very explicit. Although, I must say, that in team diving I am unsure why you cant depend on a teammate to seal your deal. However, that is another issue for another thread.

Sorry if I mis-spoke about the self donning feature.

Exactly. I always have someone nearby to lend a hand.

The suit I use most often happens to be crushed neo, back zip, with integrated boots. I don't remember any of my three GUE instructors commenting on it.

OK, let me amend that to a strong suggestion. When I read about the equipment requirements I remember the self-donning being important enough to make very explicit. Although, I must say, that in team diving I am unsure why you cant depend on a teammate to seal your deal. However, that is another issue for another thread.

Sorry if I mis-spoke about the self donning feature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom