DIR and Drysuit socks/boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you guys are overthinking this stuff a bit. Use what fits you best. It's very individual. In my case I used turbosoles for 6 years and they simply suck. Mt feet get crushed and mutilated in those. Rockboots are much more comfy and efficient for me. It has nothing to do with walking on the rocks. They are painfully tedious to put on, but once in water they work great.

Bonus is the easier suit maintenance, but it was never a deciding factor.

What a great question. Wonders never cease to amaze me on the discussion/answers on topics of diving. I love it. (further what I'm about to write is only my opinion about my experience, not to be taken as a truth. Attraction rather than promotion.
When I first started diving I bought a whites suit/back zip. It had socks/rock boot config. The people I was hanging with all had turbo soles. I felt so different in my gear from them it was intimidating to me. I was not part of Scubaboard then so I couldnt learn how to dive then.(snicker) Well I was diving at Vancouver island and all it took was a highly experienced and very well respect dive shop owner to tell me that I would probably dive better with new turbo soles and new wrist seals and new neck seals....... O ok ......... a lot of money later instead of experience later I bought a DUI tls350 with socks cuz I dive better with rock boots. I have great control. I seem to feel my feet/boots are attached better. I love the front zip for donning. I can pee quicker. lol. Without having to put another failure point on. haha. I dont have a big gut to hinder me in putting on the rock boots. They feel like I'm putting on my climbing boots, not a big deal. I really love the way I can fin with my rocks/F1 fins. I can do all the tricks with ease. I have never, never felt that my boots where going to come off. My turbos did several times. That scared the beegeebbers out of me.
Any way I hope that my experience was close to someone elses I dont want to feel special. Good diving to ya'll.

I have neo socks on my suit and just wear my old semi-dry oceanic booties over the top. This works for me, but i've never tried anything else. I know the advantage to my system is that my feet are always REALLY warm, plus there is minimal air in my feet as the neoprene compresses.

99% of my diving is off the shore and i was always concerned i would damage connected boots and lead to an expensive repair, so replaceable boots seemed the best way. I did read somewhere that this left more ankle movement for back kicking etc. But i can't back kick anyway so i have no idea! :wink:

I have never fallen, but i've been close and i could do with buying better booties.

My suit is self donning front entry. My previous was rear entry. I wouldn't go back to it, it's too easy now and not as restrictive, but that's just me, plus my current suit was mtm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom