DIR and Drysuit socks/boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I've noticed over the years is that pretty much any "official" DIR positions on equipment only consider what works best in caves. That's not necessarily what's going to work best elsewhere.

Well, this is about the only situation where I think this argument really holds any water, and technically I'm still in the "maybe" camp and I still haven't ever dove rockboots.

And my $0.02 on the back-zip/front-zip are that if you've got a back-zip that works fine, the more power to you -- but i've seen back-zips which do restrict range of motion (somewhat frequently) and all other things being equal, would advise new divers to avoid them.

Definitely not a requirement, but the back zipper seems to be recommended against, as it can make valve shutdowns harder.

I haven't had trouble though I am more flexible with front zip.

Also you can self-don a drysuit with a backzip. Seen one flexible guy reach over to do it but being less flexible, I stick the zipper tag over a pole and twist around to put it on or take it off.

ScubaSam:
One of the cons of the integrated boot is I cannot completely turn the integrated boot inside out to air or to dry it like I'd prefer.

If you stick newspaper in the boots, it will dry them out in a few hours.

I haven't had trouble though I am more flexible with front zip.

Also you can self-don a drysuit with a backzip. Seen one flexible guy reach over to do it but being less flexible, I stick the zipper tag over a pole and twist around to put it on or take it off.

... it's also one of the few legitimate uses a cold-water diver can have for a snorkel ... providing it's a simple J-snorkel ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Don't you have to be awfully careful self donning a back zip suit? It seems that it would be fairly easy to apply force incorrectly to damage the zipper. If it gets stuck it seems that it would also be harder to self correct.

I know people do this all the time. I just wonder if any of you have had any mishaps?

Don't you have to be awfully careful self donning a back zip suit? It seems that it would be fairly easy to apply force incorrectly to damage the zipper. If it gets stuck it seems that it would also be harder to self correct.

I know people do this all the time. I just wonder if any of you have had any mishaps?

It is much harder to zip up than to take off, when you do it yourself, but you just do it slowly and without force and I have not had any mishaps.

But yes, it would be a pain to correct if you got it stuck or something... however that hasn't happened to me yet (and now I have a front zip anyway).

Say no to integrated boots.
Self donning is DIR.
I read this thread backwards and didn't fall over.

From what I understand what rock boots give in support they take away in articulation and range of motion.

This is the argument I have heard from various instructors. I think it really depends on the person, the boot, and the fit of the boot, but some people do not have the ankle flexibility necessary to frog kick, etc. in a rock-boot style boot.

I have rock boots on one suit and turbosoles on the other. I prefer the turbosoles -- they are just so comfy. Plus the amount of gas in my boots doesn't depend on how tight I happened to tie the laces on my rock boots that day :) I don't have a problem with the ankle flexibility thing in my rock boots. I've also never had a problem with either style of boot popping off of my feet in the water. That's probably because I always dive in really bad trim.

I agree that you have less ankle support and are more likely to sprain an ankle in the turbosoles. On the other hand, I think my turbosoles actually have better traction than my (DUI) rock boots.

Allison

I'm a fan of the hardsole boots on my USIA Suit. I'd put those in the running against the rockboots. Might not have the laced ankle support. This thing has some serious tread and a pretty hefty heel that is quite similar to my hiking boots soles. Again, no real ankle support, but you don't really want that for kicking, but it has better soles than the rockboots imho.

The USIA Overboots are awesome too, but kicking is a little difficult. I can't get nearly the speed or acceleration with the overboots than with the hard soles.

I haven't dove with a DUI suit or rockboots, but have put them on and seen them on plenty of buddies and what not. I wouldn't use the turbosoles unless it was strictly boat diving or similar where there isn't much walking around on rocks and stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom