DIR and Drysuit socks/boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly. I always have someone nearby to lend a hand.

The suit I use most often happens to be crushed neo, back zip, with integrated boots. I don't remember any of my three GUE instructors commenting on it.

Good to know. I have compressed neoprene (Typhoon) with back zip and integrated boots and I like it (don't need to use special undergarment to keep me warm either).

Thank you all for your replies.

Does the integrated boots keep air inside?

Do you think that this can affect the control of your buoyancy? (eg Feet First Ascent?)
I don't find that the integrated boot traps air to cause a feet first ascent. I've done some feet first ascents but it was my lack of drysuit skills and not the boot's fault. :blush:

Sorry, I added an extra comment on my last post because it wasn't clear what I asked.

I am wondering if the free space inside the integrated boots can keep air and if this air can affect buoyancy.
There isn't that much more free space inside the integrated boots to trap that much air needed to cause a feet first ascent.

That's easily fixable ... there's a number of drysuit dryer approaches out there. Mark Vlahos made me a dryer out of PVC pipe that slips down into my socks/boots and dries them out rather quickly. Mine's powered by a CPAP machine, but any number of fans would do the job easily.

Also, UK makes a drysuit hanger with a built-in fan that does a surprisingly good job of drying out the inside of a suit ... right down to the boots ... costs around $40 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Thanks for the suggestions, Bob, I like the built-in fan idea. I like turning gear inside out to dry so that really was my only issue about the integrated boot otherwise I like them.

Well, it is a land problem when you consider how they got hurt ... but then again, getting into and out of the water is pretty essential for any dive.

What I've noticed over the years is that pretty much any "official" DIR positions on equipment only consider what works best in caves. That's not necessarily what's going to work best elsewhere.

Like you noticed ... people who dress like a cave diver sometimes aren't optimally equipped to deal with conditions in other environs ... and sometimes it hurts ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've used turbo soles or variations thereof for over 20 years in a lot of slikppery environments without incident. But what do I know. I dress like a cave diver so I must be talking out my ass.

Well, it is a land problem when you consider how they got hurt ... but then again, getting into and out of the water is pretty essential for any dive.

What I've noticed over the years is that pretty much any "official" DIR positions on equipment only consider what works best in caves. That's not necessarily what's going to work best elsewhere.

Like you noticed ... people who dress like a cave diver sometimes aren't optimally equipped to deal with conditions in other environs ... and sometimes it hurts ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

the issues he's describing happen on cave dives as well. not all the caves have parking lots and stairs (as people are too often eager to point out)

turbo soles are by no means perfect

I've used turbo soles or variations thereof for over 20 years in a lot of slikppery environments without incident. But what do I know. I dress like a cave diver so I must be talking out my ass.

... you usually do ... but that's not my problem ...

As Lamont indicated, I've known a few folks here who've hurt themselves because the turbosoles don't really give them as much support for hauling heavy doubles out of the water as rock boots would have. One ended up with a broken femur ... and that had to really hurt. A sturdier boot would've most likely prevented that accident.

The "I've done xxx for xx years and never had an accident" is a pretty lame argument ... all it means is that you've managed to make the most of your choices ... not that you made the best ones ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

the issues he's describing happen on cave dives as well. not all the caves have parking lots and stairs (as people are too often eager to point out)

turbo soles are by no means perfect

No piece of gear is perfect ... they all come with trade-offs.

One of our most popular sites ... the one where a lot of injuries occur ... requires the diver to enter and exit via a fairly steep slope covered with small, round rocks that roll under your feet when you walk. Turbosoles are probably the worst choice of footwear you can have for that particular site.

That said ... they're great once you're in the water. So the decision you gotta make is what means the most to you ... ease of kicking during the dive or ease of egress when the dive's over. No boot will be the best choice at both ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

One of our most popular sites ... the one where a lot of injuries occur ... requires the diver to enter and exit via a fairly steep slope covered with small, round rocks that roll under your feet when you walk. Turbosoles are probably the worst choice of footwear you can have for that particular site.

That said ... they're great once you're in the water. So the decision you gotta make is what means the most to you ... ease of kicking during the dive or ease of egress when the dive's over. No boot will give you both ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

agreed. it seems like the santi boot comes the closest IMO

agreed. it seems like the santi boot comes the closest IMO

I agree ... at least in terms of what I've tried so far ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That said ... they're great once you're in the water. So the decision you gotta make is what means the most to you ... ease of kicking during the dive or ease of egress when the dive's over. No boot will be the best choice at both ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sounds like an equipment solution to a skills problem. :p

But seriously, not everybody knows how to move across tricky terrain while carrying a load on their back and honestly you gotta watch a few spills before you get it, and even then there's no guarantee you won't end up on the deck. And in that case it helps to know how to fall (yes, there is a proper way) so you can avoid injuring yourself, which once again only a small portion of the population understands.

Peace,
Greg

Sounds like an equipment solution to a skills problem. :p

But seriously, not everybody knows how to move across tricky terrain while carrying a load on their back and honestly you gotta watch a few spills before you get it, and even then there's no guarantee you won't end up on the deck. And in that case it helps to know how to fall (yes, there is a proper way) so you can avoid injuring yourself, which once again only a small portion of the population understands.

Peace,
Greg

I only have a few shore dives in doubles under my belt, and I have fallen at least 50% of the time (never hurt myself). However, I am becoming more graceful each fall, so you might be right about skills :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom