DIR (Doing it Right) Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
well, i don't think the guy i was talking to on tuesday night does the 320 dives, i'd guess his limit is 180 based on his cert level and experience, and i've been doing more diving down to 120 on a regular basis, but i'm still nowhere close to 300...

That's not good news. I'll alert him to the potential problem. If there is one, our LDS will take them back, particularly if he wanted to buy Atomic, which they also sell.

I don't want to hijack the thread but does anyone know if the apeks xtx series can have the faceplates removed without tools? Thanks

c555:
I don't want to hijack the thread but does anyone know if the apeks xtx series can have the faceplates removed without tools? Thanks

Why do you want to remove your faceplate?

The DIR guidline is that the plate in front of the diaphram on the 2nd stage should be able to be removed to clear away anything that might get inside it. Seems kinda odd to me, but I just wanted to know if the XTX series can do that.

TheRedHead:
Why do you want to remove your faceplate?
This is why:
cerich:
DIR regs, almost anything but servo regs or regs you cant remove the second stage cover.
Of course you or someone you are with has to know what to do to remedy the problem once that cover is off. . .

xiSkiGuy:
This is why:
Of course you or someone you are with has to know what to do to remedy the problem once that cover is off. . .

I've got Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair and all it did is convince me never to work on my regulator. :wink:

FWIW - I use a DiveRite 1st with a bungeed DR 2n'd and a Kirby Morgan Superflow on my 7' hose. All passed inspection during fundies :wink:

the criteria I've heard for second stages are 1) hand removable faceplate 2) 3/8" hose, not 1/2" 3) non high performance reg for backup or a high performance reg tuned "down" (which is what I do) to prevent free-flows in current

I may have missed some things, but those are the ones I recall.

Brand is less important than function. However having similar regs to your buddies makes servicing easier (If you service them together) and it's more likely one of your team members will be able to provide parts if you have trouble. Thus ScubaPro and Apex seem to be the most common among DIR divers that I've met.

Aloha, Tim

TheRedHead:
I've got Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair and all it did is convince me never to work on my regulator. :wink:
Funny, I bought the same book and then convinced the LDS I work for to send me to a ScubaPro Reg Tech clinic.:wink:

That certainly doesn't mean I would readily unscrew a second stage cover in the water (most people prefer to use the little blue mat they give you at the clinic on a nice dry workbench). But I hear some have done it in water to solve debris/diaphragm issues.

xiSkiGuy:
Funny, I bought the same book and then convinced the LDS I work for to send me to a ScubaPro Reg Tech clinic.:wink:

That's what I would need because reading diagrams is not my forte. My TDI instructor suggested it to our class. I decided to remove the cover to my old Mares Axis 2nd stage and stuff popped out and something fell on the floor. Could I do it underwater? :shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom